Where I Get My Domain Name Ideas From

Discussion in 'General Indian Domain Name Discussion' started by OzDomainer, Feb 2, 2009.

1. superpower

superpower India New Member

Home Page:
    Nice! very useful information, and you can also visit namemesh.com, nameboy.com, panabee.com, domainsbot.com

2. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree Wongwanlee Malaysia Member

Have you ever considered looking at the map to get ideas for domain names? There are many places on the map which do not have websites using their names. Most of the names of these places are in the public domain. So it's a matter of who gets to register the domain first. Some places may be obscure now. However, in a few years' time, it can become well-known. That's when the domain name of that place would have value.

3. oportosanto

oportosanto Portugal Member

That's a really good suggestion, many times we just need to think out of the box in order to get good ideas for domain names.

4. Britney

Britney South Africa Member

I can't tell you how long I suffered trying to come up with a name for my ONE website when I first began. I wish I had known then what I read in the opening post here. Thanks so much for sharing this valuable information.

LLL.in King likes this.
  5. ritchie

ritchie Kenya Active Member

I have never thought of such an idea and it is true that it is a lot about who gets to register the domain first. I agree with this suggestion especially with the fact that in a few years, some obscure places will become well-known.

6. Simone

Simone South Africa Member

Isn't that a bit of a long shot? What if the places don't gain in popularity and you're left sitting with all those domain names that no one wants? I like a sure thing, and that is not a route that I would take.

7. tulip

tulip Kenya Active Member

I agree with everything you have said, especially the last part where you highlight the importance of research and devoting enough time and/or resources towards getting an appropriate domain name. I learned (albeit the hard way) that it makes sense to pay close attention to what the domain name will be. When I registered my first domain ever, a lot of people couldn't understand what it was all about.

8. Hostingsafety

Hostingsafety India New Member

Home Page:
    It was nice sharing.

9. Geordy

Geordy South Africa Member

I like the idea of looking at the map for domain name ideas. This is something that I don't think a lot of people are doing. I think I will look into that a little more.

10. Kerron Billouin

Kerron Billouin United States New Member

Great post.. I like how you keep it simple when coming to choosing your domain name, for people tend to over think things, when dealing with domain names and stray away from its relation to the topic..

11. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian Romania New Member

JackD likes this.
  12. Roshni

Roshni United Kingdom Member

Sometimes I check lists of expired domains to see if there's anything close to what I am working on. Getting extra traffic from the links already set up to the closed site worked really well the last time I bought one.

JackD likes this.
  13. oportosanto

Expired domain names are a good idea, because some are really good and are currently unused.

JackD likes this.
  14. Jas

Jas Indonesia Member

That's a clever idea. Sometimes it is beyond budget of the starting stage, although we can also use the list as a good source of inspiration or variation for similar names. That way, we can still benefit from both links.

15. oportosanto

Exactly. If we can't buy the domain we want, we might get a similar one. Domain names are important sure, but more important is the quality of the site.

16. marsh

marsh Kenya Active Member

This thread is full of a lot of invaluable information. We all need to be creative when thinking of domain names and it times it just needs a little attention to detail. Looking at the world map is such a good suggestion.

17. oportosanto

Creativity is important, but looking at the world map might look for some, and not others. In reality, inspiration can come from everywhere, for me comes better after being in the nature or working out.

18. marsh

marsh Kenya Active Member

Very true because if all of us were to look at the world map for inspiration, then we'd soon exhaust every other idea therein. The point here is that there is no limit to where we can get our ideas from.

19. oportosanto

Exactly, we can get inspired anywhere, but the most important is picking a catchy name, a name people will like and remember.

JackD likes this.
  20. Anayaa

Anayaa United States Member

I agree that the best domain names come from using your best keywords in the name. This accomplishes a two fold task. One, to create a really good domain name that will be easily searched for, and Two, keywords help your domain get recognized as an expert more readily by a wider number of people searching for those keywords.