The one tip startup founders need to know about tracking down domain name owners

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
You know exactly what you want to call your company and immediately go to register the .COM. Then you realize what you were probably expecting from the beginning…someone else owns the domain. The normal reaction at this point is to think to yourself, “stupid squatter!” and instantly become both angry and annoyed at the person who bought the domain name before you and aren’t using it for anything.

Here’s the reality.

That “squatter” that owns the domain name probably isn’t a squatter. It’s unlikely that they thought about you and your founders sitting around coming up with the name and therefore with years their incredible clairvoyance went ahead and registered the domain. In many cases the owner of the domain is one of two types of people:

1. Another startup founder like you who also came up with the name just years before you did but never got their business off the ground
  2. A domain name investor who bought the name to sell for a profit
In either case you need to first determine if the domain is for sale (much easier if it’s a domain investor since the answer is yes) and next get in touch with the owner. The truth is, domain investor want to sell their domains, and they make it easy to get in touch with them. Startup founders, like you, aren’t necessarily trying to make money selling domains. They might have the domain under privacy protection and they also might still want to hang onto the name since, like you, they bought it for a business they once (or still do) believe in.

Either way, there’s a lot of confusion about how to get in touch with a domain owner so I thought I’d share a few tips to do it. While a good domain broker can definitely help accelerate the process, and in many cases can save you a few bucks on a domain, you can still try your hand at it at first and if you don’t succeed, call in the experts. There isn’t a big multi-step process for tracking down a domain owner, just one go-to technique that I have found worked the best years ago and still is the best way to reach a domain owner today.

Source

Parth

That's a smart way to look at cyber squatting. Glad you brought it up because I always saw it as an easy way to bully money out of another person or company with a similar name, but it makes more sense that the domain owner is most likely a failed business or a domain investor with no evil intentions. Thank you for sharing this!

dibon

I've never looked at it in this way and it's good that you actually brought this up. I'd be very disappointed if I chose a domain name, only to realize that it belonged to someone else.

Mikhaela

This is a great thread. A lot of people give up on the first try if a domain name is gone, I know I've done it myself, instead of investigating further.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Kassey Lee shares his expired domains tip for finding valuable domains Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Domaining Tip: Kassey Lee on using End user research to buy domains Resources 0
JulienJ Tip for using DomainTools' Domain Search Tool Resources 0
domainking131 Domain registration can tip hands Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Tip to check if your potential buyer has already used Escrow.com Resources 3
anquest CO.CLUB Sells@$5.7K, Tip.CLUB $4.6K, LA.CLUB $3.5K, NY.CLUB $3.5K, UK.CLUB $3.5K | SEDO Sales New GTLDs 0
domainking131 A tip to convince buyer for your domain name Resources 0
W "Now let me give you a marketing tip" Watch the short video (I had forgotten this Gem The Lounge 0
domainking131 Security tip while Flipping!! A must know for every domainer. General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
chandan TIP.co.in Domain Appraisals 1
S An easy tip to keep derpression at bay. The Lounge 1
Prashant Sharan What a bizarre name !!! : Mmhmm, a US startup, registers Mmhmm.App New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Domain Sherpa Podcast: Amanda Waltz explains startup domain acquisition process Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Sherpa Founders Series: Morgan Linton on common Startup/VC misconceptions about Domains Resources 0
Prashant Sharan .io domain startup closes an $110M round at a $780M valuation New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan That's weird !! : Startup changes its domain from .com to .top New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: What portion of my startup funding should go towards a domain name? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Ask for equity while selling a Domain Name to a Startup Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Trending startup domain names Resources 0
D Crowdfunding your startup? Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
JulienJ Startup buys Jumprope.com domain for $200,000 Non-Indian Domains 1
JulienJ Analyzing startup domain names The Lounge 0
domainking131 Startup with $19m in funding gets Less.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Startup on Radix domain has more downloads on Play Store than Lyft and Hulu combined New GTLDs 0
D Please appraise this startup - Websites Indian Websites and Start-ups 5
DomainSherpa How a Startup Founder Negotiated and Purchased Snappa.com – With Chris Gimmer The Lounge 0
anquest 'World Startup Expo' / Bangalore / Mon, Nov 21 - Wed, Nov 23, 2016 | Powered By >> Cocoon Ventures Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
domainking131 Telepathy Sells Den.com Domain To New Startup Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Startup with $2m launches on .Chat New GTLDs 2
domainking131 How startup funding is consolidating in India Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
p206ab bestgiftsformen.net - Affiliate project startup Non-India Related Domains 0
anquest Lending.CLUB Sells @ $25K | Startup.CLUB $22.5K | Hosting.CLUB $4,503 | The DN Journal TOP 20 Sales New GTLDs 0
domainking131 .Club Registry Sells Lending.club For $25,000 & Startup.club For $22,500 New GTLDs 0
anquest The 10th India Digital Summit | The Lalit, New Delhi | FEB 9 - 10 | STARTUP Exhibitor Fee >> INR 500 Business and Economy 0
anquest APP Developer STARTUP Hub Launched in Bangalore | 'MOBILE10X' Founding Partners incl: GOOGLE / PayTM Business and Economy 0
anquest India's First STARTUP-Dedicated Bank Branch Launched in Bangalore | 'SBI InCube' @ St. Mark's Road Business and Economy 0
anquest GOOGLE + IAMAI Present >> The Second 'STARTUP SUMMIT' 2016 | JAIPUR | Fri, Jan 22, 2016, 9 am Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
domainking131 With startup pileup, 2016 tech IPOs will face tough investors The Lounge 0
CyberKing The Startup Scene in India The Lounge 6
DomainSherpa How a Premium Domain Name Can Boost an Already Successful Startup - With Jamie Siminoff The Lounge 0
anquest STARTUP SUMMIT - DELHI + Launch of MOBILE 10X | Presented by IAMAI + 'DELHI STARTUPS' | Sep 30, 2015 Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
anquest CeBIT INDIA 2015 | Bangalore | Thu, Oct 29-Sat, Oct 31 | 'Startup Challenge 2015' Goes International Business and Economy 0
domainking131 Mattress startup acquires TN.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Gifs.com Seems To Have Sold To GifYT Startup Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 World’s Most Popular Non-.com Startup Domains Non-Indian Domains 0
K startup.land : For Sale Non-India Related Domains 0
W The Billion Dollar Startup Club The Lounge 0
Jeff Indian Startup gets INR 3 crore funding Indian Websites and Start-ups 6
anquest 'TechCircle Startup 2015' | The Park Plaza, Bangalore | This Wednesday (April 22nd) Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
domainking131 Startup.club launches to get Entrepreneurs get access to great .Club premium domains New GTLDs 0