The internet is now 32 years old, and still growing!

Discussion in 'Business and Economy' started by Abhijit, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Abhijit

Abhijit United States Member

In 1985, there were a whopping total of 6 domain names registered. At this time you could get one and register it for free. By 1995, that all ended when you had to start paying. In 1998 came privatization of the DNS and ICANN. It has only gotten more complicated from there. There have been many new "ideas" introduced to the internet these days. What are your favorite new ideas?

Jeff likes this.
  2. Swisslist

Swisslist United States Member

The innovations realized in payment processing. From B and M businesses paying you online, to total e transactions. They are getting more secure and faster as the years go by.

3. ritchie

ritchie Kenya Active Member

I can't even think of any new ideas; I just wish I had been there when the whole domain industry was growing. You can only wonder what it will be like 20 or so years from now.

4. marsh

marsh Kenya Active Member

The first-ever domain name to be registered through the proper DNS process was symbolics dot com, on the 15th of March 1985. The interesting bit is that this domain name didn't change ownership for about 25 years and even the selling price was never disclosed. There are so many innovations to date and we can only speculate what could happen in the next decade or so.