Someone Caught Great Deal at Flippa; How Is This Domain Venue Performing for You?

JulienJ

Someone landed a fantastic deal on Flippa this weekend. Amazingly, I lost the auction despite my accidental astronomical one-too-many zero’s high-bid. I’m not going to mention what domain it was (to avoid any politics on the issue), [all luck to the winner who got a great deal] but the domain name was a single word .com highly-commercial term with an Estibot well over $200,000.00 and it sold for about 9 percent of that.

Not a .net domain selling for 9%, but a .com at 9% of the Estibot. Now I am aware that not everyone swears by Estibot values, but it is usually pretty good at valuing true generic single word .coms, and it isn’t usually that wide-off. At minimum, it’s always been a very good indicator of what’s highly desirable.

How my astronomical, ‘one zero too many’ high bid still missed it:

During the last hour of the auction, I placed what I thought was an unbeatable high-bid, (one zero too many, automatically out-bidding any competing bid). While I was searching around the site to see if there was a way to figure out for certain what my high bid was, and if I saw that correctly in that split-second, to make sure I knew how bad the damage would be if bidding remained strong, I then received an email that the auction had ended and the domain auction closed with a winner (not me); the domain was sold.

I was very surprised; I think the seller could have achieved more, especially since my super-seller bidding account kept placing bids automatically. So I reached out to him and asked and seller said it was just one of those quick decisions based on what he had been seeing and that you really never know with this stuff, wish is true. Wished him luck at recognized at least he was looking at money-in-the-bank.

Hopefully there are no back-room deals going on over there.

• Has this happened to anyone else? Did an auction close while you were aggressively bidding and you thought you had it, in-the-bag, so to speak?
  • Have you ever encountered any shill bidding, funny business, going on there?
  • Any land-grabs miraculously disappear on you?
  • Problems with sellers, buyers, brokers, out of the norm worth mentioning?
  • Any ‘collusion’ with the ownerships’ other venues, if any?

Source

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver on advising someone close about buying domain names Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Joe Styler decsribes “How to buy a domain that someone else owns” Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Problems of building a business on someone else's company’s platform Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: What should you say to someone if you want to buy a domain name from them Resources 0
Prashant Sharan WHat on EArth!! : Why is someone trying to phish DN registrars Registrars 0
JulienJ Someone bought domains to donate to a Madison Mayor Candidate, then decided to charge $30k for them Non-Indian Domains 0
A Why would someone spend 1.5 million on a domain name? Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 There is always going to be someone holding the bag Non-Indian Domains 0
M Someone Review My Website Website Reviews 4
ish88an Want someone who can sell my Premium .in Domains General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
W What !!! Someone paid it, only in the USA ; 1-35mm-ebet-com-sale/ (Great) General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
DNJournal.com Someone Filed a UDRP Against Me- Now What? Legal Issues and Dispute 0
C premium name for someone who is in hosting business For Sale 0
Ceres Domino's Pizza: How to ruin someone's appetite... The Lounge 2
C kill.in and glad.in caught in 2011 For Sale 5
domainking131 Three non .COM sales that caught my eye this month Non-Indian Domains 0
Manthan Portfolio of Premium Brandable .IN Caught Domains - AutoPlay.in & Many More. For Sale 0
domainking131 Lawsuit over stolen Rat.com domain name gets caught in trap Legal Issues and Dispute 0
R Caught Domain - Was this your order? ShoppingCenter.Co.In For Sale 1
R Few Domains Caught Today For Sale 1
C Freshly Caught domains For Sale 1
C caught domain- any taker? For Sale 1
C Caught(snapped) names,your opinion Domain Appraisals 0
Prashant Sharan OneWord.Domains adds a great new filtering metric Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver's 2 Cents: Don’t negotiate a great price Resources 0
Jeff Great history of INDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver : June 2020 Great Domains Auction results Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Jason Calacanis talks about the importance of great domains Resources 0
Prashant Sharan A great list of second time domain transactions Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Chinese Domains: English domains have great potential Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan A great read : This WIPO panel proves that having a trademark will not always win cases Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Coronavirus lockdown is not stopping Dutch ccTLD registry from getting great volumes Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Great Read!!! : Will Cybersquatting and RDNH complainants choose ACPA over UDRP ? Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Flatten.ca: A great Domain + idea Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: Does a domain with a great backlink profile make it less of a TM risk? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan John Colascione: Global Epidemic opens up an unusually great opportunity to buy Domain Names Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan This report is a mine of great aftermarket and primary domain data Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Dual personality domains can be a great asset Registrars 0
L Ending NOW | $1 RESERVE METClickStart.org | Great 16 yrs domain for START-UP External Auctions 0
Prashant Sharan How to build a great single-page website for your small business Resources 0
webmaster75 Great club to drive a yacht: Great.pro,Club.pro,Drive.pro,Yacht.pro Non-India Related Domains 4
Prashant Sharan Uniregistry’s market had a great number of end user domains sales Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Sedo’s Great Domains monthly auction ended this afternoon with some great results Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Seems like Taster got a great deal on Taster.com Resources 0
Prashant Sharan WordPress creator Automattic ditches a great feature for its JetPack plugin. Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Erik Bergman's Podcast: Building Great.com Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Great for beginners: How I Built Steady $15-20k/mo Net Income – with Josh Reason Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Great Domains results for April 25, 2019 by Sedo Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Centric.com tops Great Domains auction with three days to go Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Great read: Morgan Linton's take on setting BIN prices on domains Resources 0