Selling my first .AI domain name, and it’s looking like a different deal than I’ve done before

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
I’ve never sold a .AI domain name. I have sold .COMs in the past (sold Movon.com last month), and lately .IO domains have been doing okay for me (sold Arthur.io last month) but I’ve never sold a .AI domain name…but I think I might this month. It’s going to be a different deal than I’ve done before, but one that I’m actually feeling pretty good about.

The potential buyer is a pretty badass software developer that wants to use the domain for a open source project they are working on. My price expectations were out of their budget to start, but they threw out a cool idea, what if they included a little “thank you” at the bottom of their site to me for providing the domain name. Maybe it sounds silly but I’m a huge supporter of open source so while it definitely doesn’t represent any monetary gain to me, I like to feel like I helped contribute to some cool open source software. Okay, contribute is probably a big overstatement since I’m not writing any code, but I think the .AI name I’m looking at selling is pretty kick-ass so I think it will honestly turn this project into a really solid brand.

In return, I’m lowering my price about 75% off my original asking price. Yes, I’m taking a price hit for something as silly as some recognition for helping an open source project, but I’m actually pretty excited about the whole thing. Now you might be thinking, “Morgan, now that you’re writing about this the buyer is going to read this” And that’s fine by me, he knows I’m an open source fan and that I want to reduce the price to help him out, so I think that should be a-okay. Of course, these could be famous last words and I might write next week about the deal I lost because I wrote a blog post about it before it closed.

Source

What do you think?
Would you do something like this?

JackD

Country flag
I would. Get the exposure from a really solid brand and still get 75% of my asking price, yep sounds like a sweet deal.

Parth

Domainking131, your post reads as though you're giving a huge discount! - "I’m lowering my price about 75% off my original asking price." That's a significant discount for a techie who has the skill set for a very lucrative career. Did you check to see if he has angel investors lined up? I understand how appealing it can be to have your site mentioned which might drive more traffic your way, but how will adblockers, ghostery, noscript, and the like effect that? Are they going to mention you on every page or just one? That matters too. And what if they bundle their open source software with a toolbar or something else? That could damage your reputation. Open source does not mean that this group will not make money from their software.

You might have already addressed these issues and received satisfactory answers. If it were me, I probably wouldn't go for the deal, but I don't have all the information that you do either. Maybe it could be lucrative.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Solanki is selling a domain name a day outbound Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Ask for equity while selling a Domain Name to a Startup Resources 0
Santosh M Domain name selling CARWALO.COM Non-India Related Domains 2
R Aged .in domain name Selling / Exchanging For Sale 0
domainking131 Selling a 6 figure domain name – Kate Buckley Non-Indian Domains 1
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton on LinkedIn's efficacy over email for selling domain Resources 0
Prashant Sharan "How Do I Go About Selling Domain Names?" Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Ninja Techniques On Selling Domain Names To Potential Buyers- Discussion Resources 0
D Unable to accept offer on Godaddy auctions for selling domain General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
Prashant Sharan The best domain selling tricks Non-India Related Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Domain Magnate's tips on buying and selling domains Non-India Related Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Uniregistry to start wholesale domain selling Non-India Related Domains 0
D Has anyone on this forum used undeveloped for selling their domain names? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
JulienJ Heritage Auctions selling company owned Coin domain names Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ The Essentials of Buying and Selling Domain Names Resources 0
JulienJ Avoid This Mistake When Selling Your Premium Domain The Lounge 0
domain investor Mix of Domain Extensions are Selling Non-Indian Domains 1
A Hi Guys I am new here , for domain selling specificaly Introduce Yourself 3
domainking131 Follow what domain names are selling The Lounge 0
A How will the removal of 500 and 1000 rupee notes impact domain selling/buying? Business and Economy 3
owl Selling the Unhyphenated .IN Domain? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
S [Selling] Domain Wholesale .Coms for a cheap Price NewYear Offer Non-India Related Domains 0
Mr Victor selling my premium domain whatsappmaster.com Non-India Related Domains 0
domainking131 Chinese domain market : Got chips? Buying or selling? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Undeveloped takes a fresh approach to selling domain names Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Fraud Alert: Namejet Bidder Selling A Domain Before The Auction Ends Non-Indian Domains 0
kriss05 Great .in domain with high selling potential as well as nice traffic/revenue For Sale 3
DNJournal.com Sedo Domain Takes a Shine to Top Spot on Sales Chart After Selling for 95K The Lounge 0
DNJournal.com 2-Letter Swedish ccTLD Domain Tops This Week's Sales Chart After Selling for Over 250 The Lounge 0
easternaga selling www.earn.desi domain For Sale 0
D Has anyone used GoDaddy's Domain Buy service for selling domains Webmaster Forum 0
DomainSherpa Tutorial: Selling Domain Names on Major Marketplaces The Lounge 0
I Selling my Website and full domain selling business on Flippa External Auctions 0
domainking131 UK police close down 2,500 domain names that were selling counterfeit products Non-Indian Domains 0
S Selling TradeSmartOnline.com (top broker domain!!) Non-Indian Domains 0
19999 News Media Domain, EstiBot Value: $1,600 -Selling $105 Non-India Related Domains 0
19999 Dictionary One Word Domain -Selling too low price! Non-India Related Domains 12
P Top selling Domain names for Sale in Indian TLDs Auctions 0
D Selling large domain portfolio of aged domains Non-Indian Domains 2
N I am selling LEDTVS.in Domain For Sale 0
DNJournal.com 3-Letter .com Takes Top Spot on This Week's Domain Sales Chart After Selling for 80K The Lounge 0
mrchris good domain selling .in domain General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
S Selling .in Domain For Sale 0
domainventure Selling a domain immediately on reg General Indian Domain Name Discussion 7
C domain selling storfront script :suggestions The Lounge 4
ajf7688 Selling My domain Portfolio - 30 domains For Sale 0
M Selling hot .net domain(alexa2000com--net),just $200 Non-India Related Domains 0
S Selling 8 Domain Names Non-India Related Domains 0
V How to make the money with buying and selling domain names? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
Shamsiownz Can you make a living from domain selling? Non-Indian Domains 6