Ask for equity while selling a Domain Name to a Startup

Prashant Sharan

Country flag
I think a dream scenario for a domain investor is selling a domain name to a startup, getting some equity in that startup as part of the deal, having that company turn into a billion dollar unicorn, and selling the stock for many millions of dollars. This doesn’t happen very often. For the vast majority of startups that buy domain names, giving up equity at an early stage is too big of an ask. I want to share an idea I have when a startup will not give up any equity in a deal to buy a domain name.

When negotiating with a startup that will not offer equity to me but has a strong enough cash offer to make a deal work, I can ask for one concession I believe is a win for both parties: The option to invest in their friends and family funding round and/or their seed funding round.

This would be a win for me because I have the chance to invest in a startup at a very early stage. Once they have their domain name and begin operations, I will be able to have a look through their business plan and decide whether an investment in the company is right for me. I do not have an obligation to invest, but I have an option depending on whether or not I like what I see.

This would be a win for the startup because they are not giving up equity at such an early stage, and they would take on my investment in the same way they would take on an investment from friends and family in the future or in a seed round with other investors. Essentially, they are granting me the same rights they would grant to others in exchange for a cash investment should I opt to exercise this option. It costs them nothing at the time of purchase, and what they offer me they would offer to others anyway. If the business never seeks funding, it would not impact them.

Read the full post here

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver: Consult "Domain Name Attorney" and don't “Ask a Lawyer” on a Domain Forum Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Video of “Ask me anything about GoDaddy’s Aftermarket or Afternic” at NamesCon Europe 2019 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver: Ask a Lawyer, Not an Investor Resources 0
DomainSherpa Berkens’ .Rocks $8k Sale; Rude to Ask Income?; New G Data Points or Trend?; Sedo.com Overcharges The Lounge 1
N How much can I ask for these LLL.IN??? Domain Appraisals 4
Prashant Sharan Airbridge Equity Partners now has a minority stake in dan.com; provides series A funding Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Cutting through the clutter of sale of .Org to private equity Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan ICA writes a letter to ICANN to block .Org private equity deal Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Michael Cyger Predicts His Cash + Equity Sale of Brew.com Will End Up Being a 7-Figure Deal Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Domain equity hit hard in market Registrars 0
Connected An "Equity" Question Webmaster Forum 5
domainking131 Why asking for equity may not be a good option Non-Indian Domains 0
Ceres Do Expired Domains Lose their Link Equity? Webmaster Forum 1
Prashant Sharan CENTR's Q42019 Report: Registrars consolidate while the domain name market grows Resources 0
Prashant Sharan RDNH decoded while there was no response from the registrant Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Ethos Capital wants to keep Public Interest Registry for a while Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Beware while buying a domain-it can come with a penalty! Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan My take: Factors I keep in mind while buying Geo Domains Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com James Booth Tops Chart With 3 Six-Figure Sales While George Kirikos Uncovers a 7-Figure Blockbuster The Lounge 0
JulienJ Get ‘Em While They’re Cheap? Two-Day Crypto Market Slump Offers Steep ‘Discounts’ Cryptocurrencies 0
domainking131 Bitcoin Gold Shakes Prices While Industry Ups 2x Rhetoric Cryptocurrencies 0
J Xeroland.com - A brand to offer things for free while profiting from AdSense. Non-India Related Domains 0
INB Limited Time Offer for .in Drop-Catch: Grab While It's Hot General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
domainking131 Back after a while.. How's everyone? Introduce Yourself 5
CyberKing Generic TLDs Impacted By New gTLDs While ccTLDs Are Going Strong New GTLDs 1
domainking131 Security tip while Flipping!! A must know for every domainer. General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
DNJournal.com Aftermarket's Mid Range Back in the Spotlight While the High End Takes a Breather Non-Indian Domains 0
kriss05 Credit card issues while adding the funds to Mitsu? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 9
T You can NOW purchase .in domains while signing up for Google APPS General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
R Get Em While They Are Here - LIMITED Time Offer For Sale 0
Justin Been a while General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0