Rick Latona's new website

IT.com
Interesting information listed on cctlds.com, it mentions that some individuals have lost premium .in domains due to questionable indrp rulings. This begs the question, are .in domains safe to own?

Are developed domains more immune to INDRP rulings?

It is the 'generic' decisions that worry me the most not the blatant TM decisions.

I am all behind the courts upholding blatant TM infringements. In the long run this will only help honest domain investors who stick to finding and developing new property.

More reason to hold LLL and NNN as very few, other than TM's such as KFC & NBA, are on the list. Plus they are more versatile and liquid.

Now the generic 'reverse-hijacking' decisions, those worry me as they smell of corruption and certainly add an element of risk to the .IN game but with Risk comes Reward.

THe upside of the INDRP cases shows that .in has value because why would people fight...and sue over worthless assets? i can't be deterred now from regging good .ins..

By seeing all this, we suggest that if you have any valuable domain then apply for Indian Trade mark and we are here to support you all to get your TM.

Thanks Mitsu for the trademark assistance. What's the procedure and what's the cost?

Also, do you think it's possible corruption may trump trademark? That is, do you think bad (cooupt, etc) decisions will be made even if the site holder has a trademark?

In reply to your post I will say that I was going through the post of GEM in CCTLDs.com ....LINK.. and am completely agree with him as we know him since last three years and whatever he wrote about INDRP process is completly right.

Thanks Mitsu for the trademark assistance. What's the procedure and what's the cost?

Also, do you think it's possible corruption may trump trademark? That is, do you think bad (cooupt, etc) decisions will be made even if the site holder has a trademark?

Thanks Mitsu for linking to a very informative post. It clears up some problems.

1) It seems as if the INDRP based its decision on logical criteria, not corruption. The previous owner wasn't really using the domain, had it parked, and didn't nail down his/her intent by doing something like getting a copyright.

2) From this information I draw the lesson that if I have a good domain I must actively use it. Just keeping the domain parked is not enough. In fact, just keeping it parked might be the worst defense.

3) I am not absolutely certain that copyright is 100% necessary if the domain owner is actively doing other things to keep the domain alive (that is, not just parked). But just to be safe, if it doesn't cost a lot of money it's probably worth it. I have a few .in domains which I believe are premium. I guess I'll copyright them to be on the safe side.

4) US$2000 for an Indian lawyer? Is that a typo? The number reminds me of a visit I made to an Indian dentist while I was in B'lore. He noticed that I had a lot of work done by my NY dentist. He asked me the price of the work on one of the teeth. I told him what I paid for that one tooth. He replied that I paid enough for that one tooth for him to buy all the advanced equipment he had in his dental office. US$2000 goes far in India, even today in the present economic crisis.

3) I am not absolutely certain that copyright is 100% necessary if the domain owner is actively doing other things to keep the domain alive (that is, not just parked). But just to be safe, if it doesn't cost a lot of money it's probably worth it. I have a few .in domains which I believe are premium. I guess I'll copyright them to be on the safe side.

can tell the process of filling a copyright?
and the time & money costs?

4) US$2000 for an Indian lawyer? Is that a typo? The number reminds me of a visit I made to an Indian dentist while I was in B'lore. He noticed that I had a lot of work done by my NY dentist. He asked me the price of the work on one of the teeth. I told him what I paid for that one tooth. He replied that I paid enough for that one tooth for him to buy all the advanced equipment he had in his dental office. US$2000 goes far in India, even today in the present economic crisis.
He got ripped off!:p
He must have went to lawyer directly.Indians are clever people, they must have thought "oh! this guy earn in dolors, let me ask my fees in dollars only" . so if a foreigner approaches, the price is always increased:D

The better option is taking help of a Indian friend/partner;)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom