Behind the Brandable Keyword: Geek

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
“An unfashionable or socially inept person” Yep, it’s an understatement to say that the official definition of the word “Geek” as you will find it in the dictionary is far from flattering. But thanks to the rising popularity of geek entrepreneurs (and tech billionaires) such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg the word has many positive connotations in today’s society. The modern day definition of the word Geek is nicely summed up by the Urban Dictionary as “The people you pick on in high school and wind up working for as an adult”.

Because of the rising popularity of the geek persona company names ending or starting with the word Geek have become more and more popular and quite a few of these startups have evolved in established companies with strong brand recognition and large client bases.

Some examples are:

• EventGeek is the ultimate event management platform, with project management and ROI tracking for hosts and sponsors. The company was only founded last year but already has customers like Google, Uber, Okta and InVision who use EventGeek every day to manage thousands of events per year.
  • Founded by Robert Stephens in 1994 Geek Squad was the first 24-hour task force dedicated to solving technical challenges. Robert founded the Geek Squad at age 24, with $200 in his pocket, a bicycle and a nerdy white-shirt-black-clip-on-tie outfit. The company was acquired by Best Buy in 2002 for an undisclosed sum.
Here are some sales for the keyword:

geek.JPG

Source

Anayaa

I agree that the word "Geek" does not hold the same negative connotation that it once did. For all intents and purposes, "Geek" is a nice thing to be these days. It denotes that you understand technology including software, wiring, networking, and all things that are good today. I think I really like being a "Geek"!

Kimla

I like the fact that the work "geek" has has sort of an evolution and isn't such a negative word anymore. I've never seen this chart before, it's quite interesting.

marsh

I used to get confused by the terms 'geek' and/or 'nerd'. It is interesting that geeks literally run the world now. I schooled with a few friends that used to be referred to as geeks but I'm sure they are on a different level now. Great piece @domainking131 !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan The secret behind the sale of cryptocustody.com for so much more than the last 100 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan The tale behind FlattenTheCurve.com domain name narrative Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan The unsettling controversy behind Public Interest Registry(.Org) sale Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: The backstory behind the $30M Voice.com sale Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com A .Com Mastermind Topped This Week's Chart But a Bad Country Code Domain Was Just a Step Behind The Lounge 0
JulienJ Behind the Sale: myBK.com – from $535 purchase to $14,000 sale Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Behind the Sale: SmartCompanion.com – from $475 purchase to $9,940 sale Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Behind The Keyword – Media Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 The Story Behind the NamesCon Brand Changes Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Buy Smart and Be Patient: The story behind Mike Mann's domaining empire The Lounge 1
domainking131 John Xu – Story Behind 4.CN Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com 2-Character .Com Leads New Sales Chart with 6-Figure Sale - Quartet of 3-Letter .Coms Close Behind The Lounge 0
domainking131 Person behind OnlineDomains bought some $50,000 worth of domains New GTLDs 3
RealDomainer Rationale behind .in and .co.in Domains bought by reputed companies outside India General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
Ceres Trademark Domains: Hiding Behind Private Whois Legal Issues and Dispute 5
U Behind.in , Coitus.in , Ejaculate.in etc Adult Domains 0
wpfreak Synk.in Short and Brandable Domain For Sale 0
Rok LLLLL.com Brandable Domain Names for sale from $55 USD! Non-India Related Domains 0
maurya Brandable catchy domain yippy.in for sale For Sale 0
C One of the most brandable domain names Non-India Related Domains 0
JulienJ Brandable domain name sales: BetterFuture.com, uMedia.com, CoinKing.com Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Brandable domain name sales: Kugga.com, GrabFood.com, Woofed.com Non-Indian Domains 0
Irfan Shafi WTB : Brandable domains Domains Wanted 2
JulienJ Brandable domain name marketplace BrandBucket has won a battle against the cybersquatter who registe Legal Issues and Dispute 1
JulienJ .CLUB launches Names.Club marketplace for brandable premium names with new extensions New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: CoolDomains.com, Lora.com, MortgageMe.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: LegacyLife.com, InsightPro.com, GeekSpot.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: MyWorld.com, Everex.com, Edio.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: eShare.com, Yobo.com, Bipex.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales week 28: Trustwork.com, Nerdvana.com, StorageLand.com Non-Indian Domains 0
A Selling BRANDABLE EASY IN domains BIN For Sale 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: UpGift.com, Korbit.com, CoffeeLand.com Non-Indian Domains 0
IceCreamTruck Fitso.com 5L Brandable Flippa Auction External Auctions 0
Manthan Portfolio of Premium Brandable .IN Caught Domains - AutoPlay.in & Many More. For Sale 0
M NameJet No-Reserve Portfolio of Brandable and Keywords domains External Auctions 0
L [NAAX.NET | current bid $11 only] Premium Brandable | Cheap price ever! External Auctions 2
Deepesh K Patel Brandable 3 LLL .IO Domains Non-India Related Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: MrLaywer.com, WebCash.com, OneMile.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: SweetLegs.com, Maill.com, TheMenu.com Non-Indian Domains 0
Sergiy Brandable domain name Ayurveda.vip - 500 USD For Sale 0
Sergiy Brandable domain name caste.vip - just 500$ For Sale 0
domainking131 How can I sell my brandable names fast ? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales Non-Indian Domains 0
DomainSherpa $40K Annual Profit from Part-time Brandable Domain Name Investing – With Doron Vermaat The Lounge 4
domainking131 Brandable domain name sales: Veda.com, Bink.com, CodeFactory.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 A Look at 5 Brandable Sales from the latest Uniregistry Reveal Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 The Brandable Insider: Seven Qualities of a Successful Domainer Resources 1
DomainSherpa From Brandable to Exact-Match Geo Domain Making $1.5M Per Year - With John Colascione The Lounge 1