Behind the Brandable Keyword: Geek

IT.com

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
“An unfashionable or socially inept person” Yep, it’s an understatement to say that the official definition of the word “Geek” as you will find it in the dictionary is far from flattering. But thanks to the rising popularity of geek entrepreneurs (and tech billionaires) such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg the word has many positive connotations in today’s society. The modern day definition of the word Geek is nicely summed up by the Urban Dictionary as “The people you pick on in high school and wind up working for as an adult”.

Because of the rising popularity of the geek persona company names ending or starting with the word Geek have become more and more popular and quite a few of these startups have evolved in established companies with strong brand recognition and large client bases.

Some examples are:

• EventGeek is the ultimate event management platform, with project management and ROI tracking for hosts and sponsors. The company was only founded last year but already has customers like Google, Uber, Okta and InVision who use EventGeek every day to manage thousands of events per year.
  • Founded by Robert Stephens in 1994 Geek Squad was the first 24-hour task force dedicated to solving technical challenges. Robert founded the Geek Squad at age 24, with $200 in his pocket, a bicycle and a nerdy white-shirt-black-clip-on-tie outfit. The company was acquired by Best Buy in 2002 for an undisclosed sum.
Here are some sales for the keyword:

geek.JPG

Source

I agree that the word "Geek" does not hold the same negative connotation that it once did. For all intents and purposes, "Geek" is a nice thing to be these days. It denotes that you understand technology including software, wiring, networking, and all things that are good today. I think I really like being a "Geek"!

I like the fact that the work "geek" has has sort of an evolution and isn't such a negative word anymore. I've never seen this chart before, it's quite interesting.

I used to get confused by the terms 'geek' and/or 'nerd'. It is interesting that geeks literally run the world now. I schooled with a few friends that used to be referred to as geeks but I'm sure they are on a different level now. Great piece @domainking131 !

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom