Registered a domain - trade mark issue - please help

vbahl

Hi,

I have registered three domains for an upcoming car model by a big manufacturer example: marutisuzukiswift.com - this is not owned by Maruti.

Can I sell them off to avoid Trade Mark dispute? I won't sell them for peanuts though :)

I am new to domains space and need help. Domains have been registered with Yahoo Small Business.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
V Bahl

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceres

I have registered three domains for an upcoming car model by a big manufacturer example: marutisuzukiswift.com - this is not owned by Maruti.

My advice: stay away from trademarked domains!

The cited domain is what I consider a blatant trademark infringement. BTW, Maruti had no problem winning the domain marutisuzuki.com.

I am new to domains space and need help.

You should read up on what constitutes a trademark infringement and bad faith domain registration. The Legal Issues and Disputes Forum has a lot of relevant information.

vbahl

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However, just one thing to add - the domain is like hyundai-i40.co.in (example) - For a model that has not been launched. Can I just make it a fan site?

Will it still be taken away?

Will there be any buyer AT ALL?

If You still believe I will make no money from these -- what should I do? Wait? or just cancel registration?

Thanks!

vbahl

And I am sorry about the link -- I wont post anymore of those :)

Also - marutisuzukikizashi (dot) com also exists -- if these rules matter so much, why do people still invest in such domains - FYI - my domain is strikingly similar to marutisuzukikizashi (dot) com -- that is a to-be-launched car

Ceres

Can I just make it a fan site?

From what I understand, fan sites are more of an uncertain area.

Non-commercial fan sites may be considered legitimate use.

If you profit from a fan site (eg. from ads etc), then you risk losing the domain.

Does your domain currently display pay per click ads related to vehicles etc?. If so, then that's already one strike against you.

vbahl

Dear Ceres,

Thanks for the help. Here are the details of my domains:

marutisuzukiR3 (dot) com
marutiR3 (dot) com

They are just registered with Yahoo -- that's it. I DONT have a website per se.

Are they of any use? :)

What if I don't even go for a site and just keep the domain till they offer me something -- once they launch the car, they dont have a domain for the same :)

Ceres

What if I don't even go for a site and just keep the domain till they offer me something -- once they launch the car, they dont have a domain for the same :)

If you registered a trademarked domain with the aim of selling it to the trademark owner, this equals a bad faith registration.

Bad faith registrations hurt the domain industry and legitimate domainers.

vbahl

If you registered a trademarked domain with the aim of selling it to the trademark owner, this equals a bad faith registration.

Bad faith registrations hurt the domain industry and legitimate domainers.

Got it sir.. will cancel them :(

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Digital Pandit The 5 ways to contact the owner of a GoDaddy-Registered domain after the CCPA Resources 0
Digital Pandit CloudInsure .com : Domain was registered before the #trademark; UDRP included a chronology of even Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Bob Casey For President? Democratic Senator’s Domain Name Registered to GOP Non-Indian Domains 0
NoeIST 100,000 .RS domain names registered Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 New GoDaddy phishing email and website using a domain registered at GoDaddy! Registrars 1
domainking131 Amazon Files Trademark for Prepared Food Kits; Domain Registered Same Day News Breaks Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Over 19,000 .blog domain names registered in first 24 hours New GTLDs 0
Jeff Free .bharat domain with every .in registered Indian IDNs 6
domainking131 Big companies recently registered these domain names Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Close to 3.1 Million Domain Names Registered in the Third Quarter of 2015 Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Over 5000 .BANK Domain Names Registered by U.S. Banks New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Nigeria Has Registered 33,572 .Ng Domain Names In 2015 Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 IDNs represent 2% of domain names registered worldwide Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Over 10,000 5-Number .Club domain names got registered New GTLDs 0
C Handwriting.net PR 3 Domain ! 5,261 Parking Uniques $67.45 Revenue, Registered in 1997 Non-India Related Domains 1
domainking131 296 Million Domain Names Registered Worldwide Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Spamming owners of newly registered domain names Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Donald Trump for President domain names registered Non-Indian Domains 0
A 1998 registered. Never dropped. "Cyber" kw .com domain External Auctions 0
C 100 USD for domain registered since 2006 For Sale 0
Milesgeek Number of Domain Registered in a day The Lounge 0
the_poet How long before can a newly registered domain be pushed at BigRock.com? The Lounge 1
R post your latest domain registered/purchased domains General Indian Domain Name Discussion 12
T Google Apps Integration into a Domain Registered thru MITSU General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
Ceres What was the first Indian domain registered? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
skyshipper first domain ever registered changes hands! Non-Indian Domains 5
P Registered TM Owner loses domain name URDP Legal Issues and Dispute 2
kussy My First Registered Domain!! yaay! Domain Appraisals 13
A Getting your domain registered General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
Digital Pandit Almost a million new .nl domains registered in 2020 Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit List of domains registered by Amazon for the Seattle arena Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit List of domains registered by NBC Universal, Microsoft, Merck, Fox Media, NetFlix Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit As per DomainTools, 68,000 dangerous coronavirus domains have been registered Registrars 0
Digital Pandit ICANN: Fewer new GTLDs will be registered and renewed in 2020 New GTLDs 0
Digital Pandit Dan Sanchez's list of quality domains not yet registered Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Elliot Silver's advice for people selling newly registered domains Resources 0
Digital Pandit DoseBuy has hand-registered a bunch of .CX domains Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Unit42 finds 70% of newly registered domains are considered “not safe for work” Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Crypto and Blockchain are registered with the Trademark Clearinghouse Legal Issues and Dispute 0
JulienJ The three most-registered new gTLDs took three very different paths last year New GTLDs 0
Domainyx 500.000.000 tokens to 1.000.000 Registered Cryptocurrencies 0
domainking131 Airbnb registered these outrageous domains after hotel industry launched outrageous ad campaign Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 3,500 Trump .Com & .Net Domains Registered in Last 48 Hours Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 .US Extension Tops 2 Million Registered Domains For 1st Time After 31 Years Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 GoDaddy Surpasses 1 Million Registered Domains in the United Kingdom Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 AppleMcLaren.com just registered Non-Indian Domains 0
Ace Analysis of 1.28M Registered .In Domains General Indian Domain Name Discussion 7
domainking131 Nearly 4,000 pokemon names registered Non-Indian Domains 0
D 4 New INDRP disputes registered in June month Legal Issues and Dispute 2
domainking131 Over 53% Of New gTLD Are Registered In China New GTLDs 0