Registered a domain - trade mark issue - please help

IT.com

vbahl

Hi,

I have registered three domains for an upcoming car model by a big manufacturer example: marutisuzukiswift.com - this is not owned by Maruti.

Can I sell them off to avoid Trade Mark dispute? I won't sell them for peanuts though :)

I am new to domains space and need help. Domains have been registered with Yahoo Small Business.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
V Bahl

Last edited by a moderator:
I have registered three domains for an upcoming car model by a big manufacturer example: marutisuzukiswift.com - this is not owned by Maruti.

My advice: stay away from trademarked domains!

The cited domain is what I consider a blatant trademark infringement. BTW, Maruti had no problem winning the domain marutisuzuki.com.

I am new to domains space and need help.

You should read up on what constitutes a trademark infringement and bad faith domain registration. The Legal Issues and Disputes Forum has a lot of relevant information.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However, just one thing to add - the domain is like hyundai-i40.co.in (example) - For a model that has not been launched. Can I just make it a fan site?

Will it still be taken away?

Will there be any buyer AT ALL?

If You still believe I will make no money from these -- what should I do? Wait? or just cancel registration?

Thanks!

And I am sorry about the link -- I wont post anymore of those :)

Also - marutisuzukikizashi (dot) com also exists -- if these rules matter so much, why do people still invest in such domains - FYI - my domain is strikingly similar to marutisuzukikizashi (dot) com -- that is a to-be-launched car

Can I just make it a fan site?

From what I understand, fan sites are more of an uncertain area.

Non-commercial fan sites may be considered legitimate use.

If you profit from a fan site (eg. from ads etc), then you risk losing the domain.

Does your domain currently display pay per click ads related to vehicles etc?. If so, then that's already one strike against you.

Dear Ceres,

Thanks for the help. Here are the details of my domains:

marutisuzukiR3 (dot) com
marutiR3 (dot) com

They are just registered with Yahoo -- that's it. I DONT have a website per se.

Are they of any use? :)

What if I don't even go for a site and just keep the domain till they offer me something -- once they launch the car, they dont have a domain for the same :)

What if I don't even go for a site and just keep the domain till they offer me something -- once they launch the car, they dont have a domain for the same :)

If you registered a trademarked domain with the aim of selling it to the trademark owner, this equals a bad faith registration.

Bad faith registrations hurt the domain industry and legitimate domainers.

If you registered a trademarked domain with the aim of selling it to the trademark owner, this equals a bad faith registration.

Bad faith registrations hurt the domain industry and legitimate domainers.

Got it sir.. will cancel them :(

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom