Nofollow, dofollow links

Domainant

I want to start a new blog and am learning as much as possible beforehand including SEO backlinking techniques. I've read that a blog or site can be mentioned without helping your rank when a nofollow HTML tag is included.. I think nofollow links are used when the owner isn't sure that you're trustworthy or just doesn't want to take a chance on a newbie. Do follow is the presumed standard and occurs automatically unless the owner adds the code for nofollow.

My question is what are the linking owner's consequences if they make a mistake by "dofollow" linking a new site that winds up being owned by a spammer or plagiarist? Does Google punish that owner by lowering their page rank? How do you find people who are willing to take a chance on your new blog?

Last edited:
I reckon this is one of those topics where you'll find very differing views, some based on lack of knowledge, some based on blind panic.

Yes, there are situations where links should be "no-followed" but it isn't necessary for all links to be treated that way.

I found this article interesting.

http://www.stateofdigital.com/sites-shouldnt-put-nofollow-outbound-links/

In it, it links to what Matt Cutts of Google says himself about both kinds of links, do-follow and no-follow.

The Google article explains that there are several instances where it could harm your site/blog, if you do-follow certain types of links. These include Paid links, or links to untrusted content.

The difficulty with paid links, of course, is that if someone is paying you to place a link to their blog on your blog, they don't do it simply for the advertising. They also hope to get some link juice from yours. And if you won't follow the link, they won't pay to have it on your blog.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/96569?hl=en

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Dofollow and Nofollow Webmaster Forum 10
Prashant Sharan Google coming up with “nofollow” tag Registrars 0
R are nofollow link worth less..? Webmaster Forum 3
domaindealr list of dofollow forums, for better SEO results. Webmaster Forum 3
diyakapoor Dofollow Fourms List Webmaster Forum 10
Prashant Sharan 25th June Market Update: $1.03m in Sales – Links.com sold for $797,361 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Links.com Sells on Sedo for €700,000 and the buyer is AllMyLinks.com Registrars 0
D 20 permanent do follow PBN links on 20 different high Majestic trust flow domains For Sale / Advertising 0
CyberKing LBOX.in is now live! Free URL Shortner That Moentizes Your Links Webmaster Forum 1
R Analysing Links Popularity Webmaster Forum 5
D Inforum's weekly email has broken links!! The Lounge 3
marsh Checking your website for broken links The Lounge 5
ritchie SEO footer links Webmaster Forum 2
ritchie Building back links Marketing Your Website 4
domainking131 Bitly to Generate HTTPS Links for All Bitly Branded Domains Business and Economy 1
domainking131 Facebook Launches M.Me Messenger Links Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Sedo links up with .EU whois to sell domains Non-Indian Domains 0
D Which Websites pay bloggers/webmasters for guest posts, blogroll links? Webmaster Forum 0
ramkumaritrvs Ad slots + text links + video ads + premium slots @ lowest price. For Sale / Advertising 0
domainking131 Hide your affiliate links with Tinyurl Resources 0
S Banner and links Adspots available at 4000 daily visits site For Sale / Advertising 0
D Text links available on PR3 Website development/advertising and E-commerce blogs For Sale / Advertising 0
S Banners and links, 6k daily visits, pr2 For Sale / Advertising 0
Jeff Google Disavow Links Tool coming Webmaster Forum 2
S WTB Blog Posts and Links on Home Decorating, Interior Design, Bedroom, Bathroom Websi For Sale / Advertising 0
S I need Photography / Art / Canadian Links For Sale / Advertising 0
L Would the Indian Market Be Interested in Links.com Non-Indian Domains 2
S Links/Advertising on Hosting Blog For Sale / Advertising 0
synin Pr6 links available For Sale / Advertising 2
S PR+ links, adverts and banners - LOW PRICES For Sale / Advertising 0
T WANTED: Permanent links only PR3+ For Sale / Advertising 0
Ceres Checking for Dead Links Webmaster Forum 1
Jeff Links to Parked Domains The Lounge 0
Tomko 1047productions.com, PR: 5 , 1240 Links google External Auctions 0