India May Block VoIP Calls

IT.com

Ceres

I've just been reading that India may soon block VoIP calls until it has a mechanism in place to trace such calls.

If DoT were to implement the IB directive, it will impact hundreds of thousands of consumers who use the internet to make extremely low cost calls to phones and free calls to computers across the globe. Telcos such as MTNL in Delhi and Mumbai and many leading ISPs offer interent telephony services.
India is certainly not the first country that wants to track VoIP calls. There are already many governments around the world monitoring VoIP calls, including in the US and Europe.

Somebody's watching you…or should I say listening to you…

I hadn't known this:
In the US and Europe, all players who offer VoIP services have provisions that allow governments to track these calls. Many of them have also installed equipment at their premises to monitor VoIP calls upon orders from governments

Very unfortunate :( 1984 is here already.

I've just been reading that India may soon block VoIP calls until it has a mechanism in place to trace such calls.

India is certainly not the first country that wants to track VoIP calls. There are already many governments around the world monitoring VoIP calls, including in the US and Europe.

Somebody's watching you…or should I say listening to you…

There is more to it than just security issues.
A sim can still be purchased under any name & companies offload them in bulk.
It's the cartels( mobile/telephone service providers) that have a hand in this.If skype and other voip services provide isd calls at 1-2 cents , who's going to use the costly normal phone services. & to top it this comes just some time after belkin launched skype handsets ;)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom