How TLD affects SEO

Jas

I'm still not sure about how certain types of domain have a higher chance of being successful with SEO compared to others. SEO is mostly largely affected by content generation and other technical details (such as submitting the websites and so on), so it makes me confused about how .com or .net are the winners when it comes to this topic.

bosconian

Today I was reading a blog post on this topic and the conclusion there was that TLD names don't affect sites in terms of SEO, so a .COM and a .gTLD would rank equally good or bad, depending on the SEO efforts of the site and content administrators.

If you wish to read the blog post I'm talking about you can do it right here: Do New Top-Level Domains Affect SEO?

I think it's more a question of habit. The most natural assumption of site address is that it's a dot com. Anything else needs a bit of extra effort. However, if a site is bookmarked, then the extension doesn't matter at all. As for the search bots, I don't think they have any particular preferences where extensions are concerned. What makes a different is the content of the site.

bosconian

And these days I think people rarely write the URL of the site they are trying to visit. Instead they click a link (mostly a shorten URL) or a bookmark so it doesn't really matters what domain we use. It matters more because of branding and marketing, and for those cases where a business uses offline advertisement because then they DO need people typing their URL on a web browser.

I have noticed that many people do not type the site address directly. They are more likely to type a name into Google search instead. That's where the SEO makes a difference. The sites listed by the search engine are ranked according to their appeal to search bots. Search bots are motivated by SEO.

larryl332

That is true, once you break that point of getting a bookmark then it doesn't matter at all what the extension is. You are right though too in that it is just a matter of personal habit to a certain extent, and that will probably never change.

To make your site easier to bookmark, just add a bookmark plugin to your site. There are many available and they are free to use. Just choose the one you like and use it. Then your site will be bookmarked and your regular visitor can get to your site with just one click.

oportosanto

That's a simple solution that will increase the number of bookmarks the site has. At the same time we should locate it well or else no one will notice it.

claire02

Banned
I don't think that TLDs affect SEO at all, it's more of a matter of people having been conditioned to think 'dot com' whenever they think of websites and that is the first thing that they type when they do a search.

Jason76

Nation based domain extensions like .us or .de will cause a website to rank better in the nation which has the targeted extension. Therefore, if your wanting a large audience outside of one certain nation, then you might want to consider using a a more general extension Nonetheless, note that some nation based extensions like .co are now general ones.

Jas

I have noticed that many people do not type the site address directly. They are more likely to type a name into Google search instead. That's where the SEO makes a difference. The sites listed by the search engine are ranked according to their appeal to search bots. Search bots are motivated by SEO.
I myself have done this quite often, especially for websites which I don't visit very often. Thinking along that point, it probably means easy access if the address contains specific keywords related to our content, to make it show up on the search engines easier. That shows that it's not really a question of what TLD is used, but what keywords are chosen.

Strat1969

Google treats all top-level domains the same, google judges your website based on its content not what domain you have nowadays. Just make sure the company that controls the domain is trustworthy as some of them have been known to take away domains that get popular.
Of the new TLS’s, .club is probably the most trustworthy.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan MMX to launch pricey .Forum TLD name Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan South Sudan to launch its tld, .ss, which can trigger a Nazi linked controversy Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan SC Johnson drops .RightAtHome TLD New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan TLD registry is offering free .gay domains to LGBTQ orgs, communities, individual,small businesses Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan You can buy “LUG.COM” exclusively from TLD Brokerage Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan DNW Podcast: Should you get your own TLD? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Refurbished set of rules for geo-TLD laid out at ICANN 66 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan dotcom is the most abused TLD name extension in Botnets in Q3-2019 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Radix acquires .Uno TLD Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Email phishing campaign using legitimate TLD to evade spam filters Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Sandeep Ramchandani discusses the TLD market. New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Cook Island's move can delete the .co.ck TLD Non-Indian Domains 0
anquest Google's .DEV up 4X to 66K DN Regs, Google Registry's TLD Portfolio TOPS 450K DN Regs (1stTimeEver) New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Jon Nevett Seeks to Position .ORG as the Best TLD, Period Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Bhavin Turakhia: His new TLD data from NamesCon New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Radix now has China approval for whole TLD stable New GTLDs 0
C Possible price increase by Verisign for .com TLD, need to rally Business and Economy 0
anquest The 1st ETHEREUM BlockChain Enabled TLD: .luxe (dotLUXE) @ $375 (~INR 25.9K) /DN/1st-2-Yrs. (ReqMin) New GTLDs 0
anquest India-based Infibeam's 'New TLD' .ooo Shoots Up to 114K DN Registrns. / RANK 33 (amg. New TLDs only) New GTLDs 0
JulienJ DomainNameStats.com: A new domain statistics site covering all TLD’s released in Beta Resources 0
domainking131 Smart geo TLD marketing by .NYC New GTLDs 0
Britney TLD or no? Hosting 7
anquest 'New TLD' DN Registrations TOP 24 Million (first time ever) / 'New TLDs' In the 'ROOT ZONE' = 1,179 New GTLDs 0
anquest The DN Journal Weekly TOP 20 Sales | Beer.BEER Sells @ $2K | % of .COMs in the ALL-TLD TOP 20 = 75% New GTLDs 0
anquest Cycle.IN Sells @ $16.5K / TOPS the DN Journal TOP 20 ccTLD Sales / Reaches #3 on the All-TLD TOP 20 General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest SUNIL.com Sells @ $7,750 / Made it to RANK #14 on the ALL-TLD TOP 20 DN Sales chart | The DNJ TOP 20 General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest .WIN Crosses 1 Million DN Registrations / 4th 'New TLD' To Do So / Joins .XYZ + .TOP + .WANG New GTLDs 0
anquest 'New TLD' DN Registrations TOP 23 Million / .TOP TOPS 3 Million / 'New TLDs' in the 'ROOT' TOP 1,120 New GTLDs 0
domainking131 52 new TLD sales over $5,000 you probably haven’t seen yet New GTLDs 1
domainking131 Donuts makes $70 million unsolicited offer for Rightside’s new TLD New GTLDs 0
anquest DILLI.com Sells @ €12K (appx. US$13,440) / Makes It to RANK #7 on the DN Journal ALL-TLD TOP 20 General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest 'New TLD' MILESTONE: 1,000 New TLDs Now Added to the 'ROOT ZONE', Also >> .VIP TOPS 200K DN Regstns. New GTLDs 0
anquest ITjobs.IN TOPS the DN Journal ccTLD TOP 20 + Makes It to RANK #7 on the ALL TLD TOP 20 | DNJ TOP 20 General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
G 'New TLD' DN Registrations TOP 17 Million (first time ever), #2 .TOP Tops 2 Mn., #3 .WANG Tops 1 Mn. New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Find & Buy Chinese Domains Using ChopChop.domains By TLD Registry New GTLDs 0
anquest IndiCapital.com Sells@$5K, COIR.com $4.5K | 'New TLD' Sales: 0 | The SEDO.com Weekly List of Sales General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
domainking131 Company says new TLD is “cool”, but comes with drawbacks New GTLDs 1
anquest .COM Tops 120 Million Registrations (first time ever) | 'New TLD' Registrations Top 9 Million Non-Indian Domains 0
anquest JAINISM.COM Sells For $20K / Reaches #5 on the ALL-TLD TOP 20 Chart | The DN Journal TOP 20 Sales General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest A 'New TLD' TOPS the DN Journal TOP 20 >> 8.TOP Sells For CNY 500K (appx. US$79K) To A Chinese Buyer New GTLDs 0
domainking131 This week’s new TLD: .Study New GTLDs 0
domainking131 New .LOVE TLD Enjoying Strong Sales New GTLDs 0
anquest 'New TLDs' | Two Weeks in a Row of Topping the (All-TLD) DNJ TOP 20 | Autism.ROCKS Sells For $100K Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 .Green TLD is now open for business New GTLDs 0
anquest Luxury.ESTATE | ​$50,000 | TOP 'New TLD' Sale of 2014 Year-to-Date (through DEC 14th) New GTLDs 0
anquest "Some people are successfully flipping new TLD registrations" | Andrew Allemann | DNW New GTLDs 5
anquest Top .IN: RiseLearning.IN $2K | Top 'New TLD': Penguin.CLUB $8K | SEDO.com Weekly List General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
domainking131 TLD Registry announces ChineseLandrush.com Version 3.1 Non-Indian Domains 0
anquest 3 Million New TLD DN Registrati​ons Crossed | 40K 'Signed' Zones Crossed New GTLDs 0
DomainSherpa Is Mike Mann a Robot?; Millions Spent on TLD Auctions by Amazon; .COM’s Dominance… The Lounge 0