How one guy got his Twitter handle for $250

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
“You’ll never guess how I succeeded in getting my first name as my Twitter handle. It involved a six-month campaign that included some light Internet stalking, badgering staff at Twitter, $250 and a visit to the patent office.”

He went out and got a Trademark, made a business card, and used Twitter’s own internal process to his advantage. In the domain name world this would be a risky move that could easily turn into a reverse domain name hijacking charge. However in the Twitterverse you aren’t the owner of your Twitter handle, Twitter is, and they do have rules and regulations that can work for or against you in the case that someone has a trademark on the Twitter handle you’re using.

“Anyway, armed with my trademark, I put on my finest suit, combed my hair, ate a couple of breath mints and contacted Twitter’s customer support. Of course, given that Twitter’s support team is a web form, there’s no way for them to know what I was wearing, but damn it, this was a big moment.

I sent them a link to the approved trademark application, and the ball was rolling.”

Source

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton interviews the guy who sold Jackpot.io for $48,500 Resources 0
domainking131 Marketo donates $10,000 to Project Pinball to thank the guy who saved their domain name The Lounge 0
domainking131 Guy whose last name is Michaels loses Michaels.ca to retailer Legal Issues and Dispute 0
domainking131 A guy launched a website; made millions without hiring a single employee - Sold it for $100mn The Lounge 0
domainking131 This guy gets 100,000 shares in Jet.com: Get-rich-quick tale Webmaster Forum 2
domainking131 Guy tries to Trademark one of Rick Schwartz's domain name Non-Indian Domains 0
G LLL.in (the real LLL.in) kkk.in guy.in, gai.in, bye.in for sale For Sale 3
C Every guy loves big ones.. Adult Domains 0
D Anyone knows a website valuation guy? Websites 5
darmar The guy who changed the world..... Development Options 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver: Panelist got it right with InvestEase.com UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Web.com got pwned Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Seems like Taster got a great deal on Taster.com Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Guzzini .com registrant wanted $100,000 but got UDRP’ed Legal Issues and Dispute 0
domainking131 .Games got about 3,820 registrations in the first hours of General Availability New GTLDs 0
domainking131 You’ve Got an Offer, Now Don’t Blow the Deal! Resources 5
domainking131 Got Chips? BQDN.com has a $600,000 dollar budget for your LLLL .com domains Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Chinese domain market : Got chips? Buying or selling? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Over 10,000 5-Number .Club domain names got registered New GTLDs 0
U Bathinda.com on auction at sedo, got $ 2400 bid External Auctions 0
domainking131 Bidz Inc. UDRP for Bids.com got denied Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Got a list of 2500 random email addresses from India. What to do?? Webmaster Forum 1
indy Got beat on heartbleed.in by a few hours!!! The Lounge 0
the_poet GOT.IN for just $1,500 - Only for the next 48 hours! For Sale 2
S Got awesome domains for sale! For Sale 0
ImageAuthors Landrusher.com & Landrushers.com ... Got an idea for the new GTLD Land Rush? Non-India Related Domains 0
M Introducing My URL hope got good deal Adult Domains 0
TonyStark What is the Highest Adsense CPC you have ever got? Webmaster Forum 6
S Got awesome domains for sale! Non-India Related Domains 0
jedi Domain Steal these .IN domains today!! They got to go... make an offer............ For Sale 0
jedi Domain Got Cloud !! FastCloud.in For Sale 0
P Got an enquiry for iclick.in?? Domain Appraisals 2
chiragagarwal I realized that I also got freenaukri.in - Anyone interested? Domain Appraisals 0
jedi Domain Got virility!! VimaxPrice.in Adult Domains 1
talas iCloud.mobi on auction at SEDO, $2500 met! Apple got iCloud.com, Citrix got Cloud.com External Auctions 0
R wondering about IDN names I just got Domain Appraisals 5
mrchris .sc has still got really nice gems Non-Indian Domains 0
I Got Bids - Hurry - Very Cheap - $5 External Auctions 0
G USA got attacked !!!! The Lounge 2
D 2 of my .co.in got accepted into Bido! General Indian Domain Name Discussion 11
S Have you got your dream job? The Lounge 7
U Buy LovePatient.com-20$[Got 1 offer @ sedo] , MakeOK.com-1500$[Got 1 offer @ sedo] Non-India Related Domains 0
P My awsome domain now at sedo!! It got acceptedd!!! External Auctions 1
Prashant Sharan Domainers come together on Twitter to help those in need Resources 0
Prashant Sharan A poll on Twitter regarding the biggest domain industry change this decade Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Josh Reason's interesting poll on Twitter about how much domain investors pay for domains Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Rick Swartz's Daily Twitter Video Podcast met with Rave Reviews! Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: There’s an interesting debate going on between Andrew and Theo on Twitter Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Go!! Connect with the legend: Rick Swartz returns to Twitter with @domainking Resources 0
Prashant Sharan NamesCon domain auction : SnapNames twitter account back from the dead Resources 0