Facebook Usernames are now live - Register yours before its gone

indy

.intrepreneur
The Facebook Blog | Facebook

Register your Facebook URL before someone else grabs it!

I understand once you register your Facebook URL - you cannot change it. So the question looms.....what do you register:

1) Just your First Name
2) Just your Last Name
3) First and Last Name
4) Domain Name
5) Something Random
6) Dont ask 1,2,3... questions, we're not in school anymore :)

PS - if your business has a fan page of over 1000 fans you can register your company name right away. If its under 1000, you have to wait till June 28.

Life's good at the top!

Ceres

I'm guessing some people will only register Facebook usernames because they want to try and sell them.

I confess I've never even used Facebook before. :eek: Am I the only one?

webmaster5

I'm guessing some people will only register Facebook usernames because they want to try and sell them.

I confess I've never even used Facebook before. :eek: Am I the only one?
My understanding is that part of the announcement was a statement saying "usernames" are not transferable or editable.

So, if you own a a username you cannot sell it because it is not transferable (unless of course you are selling the whole company that owns it and now theirs is new owner for the co. - so unless you register one corporation for each username it can be trasferred.)

Second, if by mistake you misspell the username you are stuck as it can not be edited.

Ceres

My understanding is that part of the announcement was a statement saying "usernames" are not transferable or editable.

So, if you own a a username you cannot sell it because it is not transferable (unless of course you are selling the whole company that owns it and now theirs is new owner for the co. - so unless you register one corporation for each username it can be trasferred.)
I hope usernames aren't transferable, otherwise there's going to be a lot of cybersquatting. Unfortunately, I've already come across one website selling Facebook accounts...

webmaster5

Facebook made the usernames NON transferable, mainly to discourage cybersquatting - even then if somebody tries to do that I understand they have promised to take appropriate action if somebody registers a Brand Name / Trade Name of another co. as their username.

Ceres

Facebook made the usernames NON transferable, mainly to discourage cybersquatting - even then if somebody tries to do that I understand they have promised to take appropriate action if somebody registers a Brand Name / Trade Name of another co. as their username.
Thanks webmaster5! I read on TechCrunch that some people are already working around the 'problem' of Facebook vanity urls being non-transferable:

This doesn?t pose a problem, says Assetize, because you?re still able to buy and sell ?access? to the account, i.e. your login credentials.
This Is Getting Ridiculous: Startups Already Trying To ?Assetize? Facebook Vanity URLs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Facebook and Google are behaving like the Federal Reserve with their ad credits Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Facebook gets Novi.com - couldn't get CatchUp.com Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan JOB OPPORTUNITY : Facebook seeks Manager for Domains & DNS Resources Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Facebook registers around 500 CV / COVID Domains Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Facebook will go to court against more registrars for cybersquatting Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Facebook's crackdown on fake cryptocurrency domains Registrars 0
Foroux Facebook changes hurting business? Business and Economy 5
JulienJ If You Didn’t Already Know, Facebook.com Was Sold for Just $200,000 in 2005 Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ The Politics of Facebook: Zuckerberg to Testify Before Congressional Lawmakers The Lounge 0
H HipHopVirtualMachine.com Facebook Open Source project. Non-India Related Domains 0
Irfan Shafi ShoutScoop.com + 55k facebook followers Websites 4
domainking131 Facebook files 101 domain name UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 1
domainking131 Facebook Acquires GameRoom.com Domain Name Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 Facebook bought the domain Work.Place for $50,000+ New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Facebook registers domain names for WorkPlace service Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Facebook hires Google Fibre co-founder for Internet projects The Lounge 0
M Facebook, Twitter and D.T. (T-Mobile) buy 1-letters Non-Indian Domains 4
domainking131 Facebook's Dark Web .Onion Site Reaches 1 Million Monthly Tor Users New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Facebook Refuses To Take Domain Back from Registrant The Lounge 0
domainking131 Facebook transfers Instagram.com to its new registrar Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Facebook bought a registrar Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Facebook toying with the $50 billion hyperlocal services market, launches Facebook Services The Lounge 0
domainking131 Facebook Launches M.Me Messenger Links Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Facebook wins facebookghana.com & fracebook.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Facebook Surpasses Google as top Referrer for Digital Publishers Webmaster Forum 2
domainking131 Go Daddy advertising privacy petition on Facebook Registrars 2
D goatourism.co.in + Facebook Page Websites 2
techno Ecrew.in(Mobile Friendly) Wallpaper Site + Cover Maker Facebook Cover + Twitter Cover + Google Cover Websites 4
domainking131 Hackers try to hijack Facebook and other high profile domains Non-Indian Domains 0
CyberKing India to add 300 million internet users by 2018: Facebook study The Lounge 0
CyberKing Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to visit India on October 9; The Lounge 0
R Whatsupp Sold to Facebook in 16 Billion The Lounge 2
DomainSherpa Rapid Prototyping to Test Your Business Idea for Free on Facebook – With Raj Beri The Lounge 0
D Interesting - Facebook and Facelifts The Lounge 1
the_poet Infographic shared on Facebook General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
indy Indian ISP Blocks Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter & over 300 websites General Indian Domain Name Discussion 4
Jeff Opinions on Facebook IPO The Lounge 6
indy inforum.in facebook page The Lounge 3
domainhouse $50 Facebook Ad Credits for sale For Sale / Advertising 0
Ceres Watch live broadcast of My Name is Khan via Facebook The Lounge 1
Ceres Facebook Contest for Indian Developers The Lounge 1
Ceres Facebook available in Hindi, Punjabi, and other languages The Lounge 1
indy Dekho.in - Desi Facebook Indian Websites and Start-ups 6
Ceres Marketing via Facebook Webmaster Forum 0
Ceres You've Been Served...via Facebook The Lounge 2
Prashant Sharan 3rd June Market Update: $234k in Sales - C.live sold for $28,500 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Instagram Founders launch RT.Live to track the spread of coronavirus New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan 17 year old used nCoV2019.live to create “one of the largest covid19-tracking websites gloablly” New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Add.com and Mercury.com are now live Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan NamesCon 2020 live domain name auction happened today Registrars 0