Facebook Usernames are now live - Register yours before its gone

IT.com

indy

.intrepreneur
Country flag
The Facebook Blog | Facebook

Register your Facebook URL before someone else grabs it!

I understand once you register your Facebook URL - you cannot change it. So the question looms.....what do you register:

1) Just your First Name
2) Just your Last Name
3) First and Last Name
4) Domain Name
5) Something Random
6) Dont ask 1,2,3... questions, we're not in school anymore :)

PS - if your business has a fan page of over 1000 fans you can register your company name right away. If its under 1000, you have to wait till June 28.

Life's good at the top!

I'm guessing some people will only register Facebook usernames because they want to try and sell them.

I confess I've never even used Facebook before. :eek: Am I the only one?

I'm guessing some people will only register Facebook usernames because they want to try and sell them.

I confess I've never even used Facebook before. :eek: Am I the only one?

My understanding is that part of the announcement was a statement saying "usernames" are not transferable or editable.

So, if you own a a username you cannot sell it because it is not transferable (unless of course you are selling the whole company that owns it and now theirs is new owner for the co. - so unless you register one corporation for each username it can be trasferred.)

Second, if by mistake you misspell the username you are stuck as it can not be edited.

My understanding is that part of the announcement was a statement saying "usernames" are not transferable or editable.

So, if you own a a username you cannot sell it because it is not transferable (unless of course you are selling the whole company that owns it and now theirs is new owner for the co. - so unless you register one corporation for each username it can be trasferred.)

I hope usernames aren't transferable, otherwise there's going to be a lot of cybersquatting. Unfortunately, I've already come across one website selling Facebook accounts...

Facebook made the usernames NON transferable, mainly to discourage cybersquatting - even then if somebody tries to do that I understand they have promised to take appropriate action if somebody registers a Brand Name / Trade Name of another co. as their username.

Facebook made the usernames NON transferable, mainly to discourage cybersquatting - even then if somebody tries to do that I understand they have promised to take appropriate action if somebody registers a Brand Name / Trade Name of another co. as their username.

Thanks webmaster5! I read on TechCrunch that some people are already working around the 'problem' of Facebook vanity urls being non-transferable:

This doesn?t pose a problem, says Assetize, because you?re still able to buy and sell ?access? to the account, i.e. your login credentials.

This Is Getting Ridiculous: Startups Already Trying To ?Assetize? Facebook Vanity URLs

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom