Domain Names and Commonwealth Games

IT.com

Ceres

As many of you know, India will be hosting the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi (between 3rd and 14th October 2010).

I couldn't find too much information about this subject, but from what I understand, domains that incorporate the "city and year" of Commonwealth Games are risky, and may infringe on official trademarks. For example, the host city for the last Commonwealth Games was Melborne, Australia, and it won the following domains in a WIPO case: melbourne-2006.com, melbourne2006.com, melbourne2006.info, melb2006.com and melb2006.info. The host city corporation had registered trademarks such as MELBOURNE 2006 XVIII COMMONWEALTH GAMES AUSTRALIA, MELBOURNE 2006 XVIII COMMONWEALTH GAMES, COMMONWEALTH GAMES MELBOURNE 2006 and MELBOURNE 2006 etc.

The committee that's organizing the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games has applied for the following trademarks at the Indian TM Registry: DELHI 2010 XIX COMMONWEALTH GAMES (logo) and www. cwgdelhi2010.org.

The above supports why I think domain registrations relating to the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games are risky and may lead to infringement issues.

Please share your views on this subject. Does anyone have more info about this subject?

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom