Did Microsoft Recently Buy Bing.in?

Ceres

I notice the whois for Bing.in shows Microsoft as the owner. Yes, I know that makes sense as that's the name of their brand new search engine. ;)

I'm wondering if Microsoft just bought this domain. It was originally registered in July 2005, but I doubt Microsoft decided on the name Bing as far back as that. The whois was updated in March 2009 so who knows... If the answer is yes, the big question is how much do you think they paid for it!?

Edit: Just noticed Microsoft also owns Bing.co.in (originally registered in 2008, updated March 2009).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceres

Bing.in is forwarded to "http://www.bing.com/?cc=in" :rolleyes:

Yes, I noticed that too. They do the same with Bing.ca, Bing.co.uk, Bing.com.mx etc....

That seems to be the Microsoft way of dealing with cctlds. For example, even Microsoft.ca, Microsoft.co.uk, Microsoft.com.mx etc forward to "Microsoft.com/...". Hey, maybe they should take to take a few lessons from Google in this area? :eek: ;)

Tomko

Country flag
yes you are right,

moreover bing.in is a great looking and brandable Domain.

It looks much better than "http://www.bing.com/?cc=in" :p

wot

Country flag
Yes, I noticed that too. They do the same with Bing.ca, Bing.co.uk, Bing.com.mx etc....

That seems to be the Microsoft way of dealing with cctlds. For example, even Microsoft.ca, Microsoft.co.uk, Microsoft.com.mx etc forward to "Microsoft.com/...". Hey, maybe they should take to take a few lessons from Google in this area? :eek: ;)

And- take a bow IDN

ビング.com , .net, .jp -Bing in Japanese. :cool:

Ceres

And- take a bow IDN

ビング.com , .net, .jp -Bing in Japanese. :cool:

..and let's not forget the mobile version: Bing :D (although m.bing.in forwards to bing.com)

EDIT:For Bing's mobile version for India, see: mindia.bing.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Glad to see Microsoft is on the ball about branding with domains!

RaghavK

Yes it is indeed..came across a thread in some forum wherein some guy was claiming to be the previous owner..and if USD 80 Million was their advertising budget, I am sure even a little part of that amount is more than enough to make the seller go 'BING'!!!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan 3196.com can fetch double the amount 3709.com did. Let's see the reason. Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Why did a four character domain sell for $16,500? Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan How did HVW.com sell for $12,000? Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Deadline for implementing Whois-killer RDAP protocol passed yesterday.Did any registrar miss it? Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Epik.com CEO Rob Monster did a big mistake Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan SelfieSticks.com : A domain that sold for 71% less than it did in 2015 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Read and Comment: How long did it take to make your first sale? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
JulienJ Is it just me or did Handle.com sell for less than what it’s worth? Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Did Amazon acquire Prime.com? Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com Another 6-Figure 3-Letter .Com Set the Pace on This Week's Sales Chart But All Groups Did Well The Lounge 1
domainking131 Did you make money in bitcoin surge? Cryptocurrencies 0
tulip Where did you learn this from? Marketing Your Website 9
tulip How did you make your first coin The Lounge 5
domainking131 How did they hide their billions – Things you need to know about Panama Papers The Lounge 0
domainking131 55588.com back on auction, $91,060 sale did not go through Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Why Did Michael Berkens Keep Adult Domains & New gTLDs? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 After 24 Hours of GA .Online did 37,544 Regs New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Did Wikipedia Take An Organic Hit In Google Search? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Go Daddy Names that did not meet reserve like 2-2.com Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 When and how did you make your first sale!! The Lounge 0
domainking131 What did you just buy?? The Lounge 1
domainking131 What did you just buy?? The Lounge 0
kriss05 What did I miss here? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
R How long did the last lll.in buyout last ? LLL.in and LLL.co.in 6
D When did you register your first domain? And which one? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 18
P Registering with SEDO, did you have to send the form? Non-Indian Domains 4
Ceres Domaining in 2009: What Did You Learn? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 6
G Did NRC.in just ended at $75 ? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 6
ebiz4india He DID IT AGAIN - He Sold ChinaTours.com for $200k Non-Indian Domains 0
F Did any one know how this shopping cart works ? Webmaster Forum 3
P Did you post comment about ICANN's URS? Legal Issues and Dispute 8
Ceres India Facts: Did you know...? The Lounge 9
N When did you get on the net? The Lounge 8
K how did you guys find this site? The Lounge 9
ekal Today's Drops - What did you catch? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 9
Prashant Sharan List of domains registered by NBC Universal, Microsoft, Merck, Fox Media, NetFlix Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Microsoft buys Corp.com domain for reportedly 7 figures Non-Indian Domains 0
D Valid XML file not generated on windows laptop with Microsoft Excel The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Microsoft just showed why not to screw up your DNS records Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Microsoft Bakt : #Crypto or #marijuana domain? Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Microsoft Sells ProjectCentral.com + More Domain Movers Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 IOTA Partners With Microsoft, Fujitsu, Others For IoT Data Monetization Cryptocurrencies 0
domainking131 Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion The Lounge 4
domainking131 Microsoft rocks the .Group with several domain registrations New GTLDs 1
domainking131 GetBookings.com : Microsoft acquires former WorldWide Media domain Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Microsoft registers six 2-letter domain names New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Microsoft Files HoloNotes and HoloShot Trademarks Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 Will Microsoft Buy Edge.com? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Microsoft wins two Microsoft related domain names in arbitration Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Microsoft files complaint for MicrosoftColombia.com and .com.co domain names Non-Indian Domains 0