Did Microsoft Recently Buy Bing.in?

IT.com

Ceres

I notice the whois for Bing.in shows Microsoft as the owner. Yes, I know that makes sense as that's the name of their brand new search engine. ;)

I'm wondering if Microsoft just bought this domain. It was originally registered in July 2005, but I doubt Microsoft decided on the name Bing as far back as that. The whois was updated in March 2009 so who knows... If the answer is yes, the big question is how much do you think they paid for it!?

Edit: Just noticed Microsoft also owns Bing.co.in (originally registered in 2008, updated March 2009).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bing.in is forwarded to "http://www.bing.com/?cc=in" :rolleyes:

Yes, I noticed that too. They do the same with Bing.ca, Bing.co.uk, Bing.com.mx etc....

That seems to be the Microsoft way of dealing with cctlds. For example, even Microsoft.ca, Microsoft.co.uk, Microsoft.com.mx etc forward to "Microsoft.com/...". Hey, maybe they should take to take a few lessons from Google in this area? :eek: ;)

yes you are right,

moreover bing.in is a great looking and brandable Domain.

It looks much better than "http://www.bing.com/?cc=in" :p

Yes, I noticed that too. They do the same with Bing.ca, Bing.co.uk, Bing.com.mx etc....

That seems to be the Microsoft way of dealing with cctlds. For example, even Microsoft.ca, Microsoft.co.uk, Microsoft.com.mx etc forward to "Microsoft.com/...". Hey, maybe they should take to take a few lessons from Google in this area? :eek: ;)

And- take a bow IDN

ビング.com , .net, .jp -Bing in Japanese. :cool:

And- take a bow IDN

ビング.com , .net, .jp -Bing in Japanese. :cool:

..and let's not forget the mobile version: Bing :D (although m.bing.in forwards to bing.com)

EDIT:For Bing's mobile version for India, see: mindia.bing.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see Microsoft is on the ball about branding with domains!

Yes it is indeed..came across a thread in some forum wherein some guy was claiming to be the previous owner..and if USD 80 Million was their advertising budget, I am sure even a little part of that amount is more than enough to make the seller go 'BING'!!!

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom