World Domain Day

IT.com
I attended the World Domain Day event in Hyderabad and have to say that, for first time efforts, the organizers deserve a lot of credit. A commendable effort!

This is a long post, so grab a drink. Some thoughts on the conference in no particular order.

1. I flew in for the conference wanting to meet and make a few connections and I was not disappointed.

2. The venue as such, Avasa, was a nice place. The ambiance was excellent and it was no different to attending a conference in the US.

3. There was a decent crowd at the conference, my estimate is about 250+ people, but maybe the people in the know could talk about actual numbers.

4. They had a grab bag with some tshirt and lots of domain literature for all participants.

5. They had thrown open the doors to students for free, quite commendable and I could also see some of the organizers patiently explaining domain related questions.It was really nice to see that and I am sure that we might see several new domain investors out of that bunch in the future.

6. The morning session started a bit late because participants were also coming in slowly, but that was understandable, as the traffic was chaotic and there were innumerable diversions. It took me almost one and half hours to get to the venue from the airport.

7. The morning session was by Mr. Sanjeev Goyal of Mitsu and representatives from Sedo. Mr. Sanjeev was very down to earth and forthright in his speech and the representatives from Sedo also gave a nice account about Sedo. They were a friendly bunch.

8. Mike Mann connected through Skype and he was his usual entertaining and exuberant self. He talked on why people should only invest in .Com and maybe selected country level domains. I enjoyed the session.

9. We had a break for morning hi-tea and I got to meet Mr. Sanjeev. He is a class act; very down to earth,friendly and humble for a man who is the face of Indian domain space. He took great pains to ensure that each of the participants were settled in, at the conference. I could also see the passion he has in the subject and when I left the conference, I felt I made a good friend.

10.The session by Jeffery Sass of .Club was excellent. He articulated the new G's position especially, .Club and countered on why people should invest in new G's. I really feel that .Club may eventually be the winner in the long run and potentially top the new G's leader board. I also got to meet Jeff at the break and he was very nice and friendly. I enjoyed talking with him. He is the typical friendly Floridan.

11. Manish Khanna gave an energetic account of valuation of domains and he also patiently explained some of the intricacies to me at the break. Very friendly.

12. Prakhar is a nice guy, who I met at the lunch break. His session was about some of the domains brokered by him including some to Disney.

13. The session by Dr. Govind the CEO of National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) was excellent. He talked in depth about NIXI and .IN registry. Very knowledgable and not your regular bureaucrat. He came across a person genuinely interested in making a difference in the .IN domain space and very approachable. We may crib about the whole auction thing, but I sincerely believe that the .IN registry is in good hands and as investors we should feel good.

14. I got to meet Sai Pola. Very nice guy! He has shown how to build a million dollar business with just a good domain name. He gave a nice presentation. I enjoyed speaking with him. Another down to earth person and very humble for a man who has accomplished quite a bit in domaining.

15. The session by Pavan Duggal on IP was enlightening. He talked about a very complex subject in layman terms and I came away understanding a bit more about IP.

16.The Masterclass in investing in Chinese domains was another great session by Simon Cousins and Arto Isokoski.

17. I did not stay on for the Ice bucket challenge as I had a flight to catch. All in all an excellent trip, where I made good connections and it was definitely the conference to attend!

18. The food at the conference, right up to the snacks, before the ice bucket challenge, was very good.

My final thoughts: The conference lived up to the hype of being the first conference in domaining in India. Congratulations to all the organizers who made it happen!

Disclaimer: Not associated in any way, in any capacity, to the event. Attended as a regular participant.

'

Very detailed and interesting feedback, thanks :)
Does anyone know if there will be some video for those who did not attend?

We may crib about the whole auction thing, but I sincerely believe that the .IN registry is in good hands and as investors we should feel good.

This is the only annoying point: .IN registry is clearly and officially forbidding the sale of .in domains, but the goal of an investor is to sale domains... I hope things will change in a near future!

I attended the World Domain Day event in Hyderabad and have to say that, for first time efforts, the organizers deserve a lot of credit. A commendable effort!

This is a long post, so grab a drink. Some thoughts on the conference in no particular order.

1. I flew in for the conference wanting to meet and make a few connections and I was not disappointed.

2. The venue as such, Avasa, was a nice place. The ambiance was excellent and it was no different to attending a conference in the US.

3. There was a decent crowd at the conference, my estimate is about 250+ people, but maybe the people in the know could talk about actual numbers.

4. They had a grab bag with some tshirt and lots of domain literature for all participants.

5. They had thrown open the doors to students for free, quite commendable and I could also see some of the organizers patiently explaining domain related questions.It was really nice to see that and I am sure that we might see several new domain investors out of that bunch in the future.

6. The morning session started a bit late because participants were also coming in slowly, but that was understandable, as the traffic was chaotic and there were innumerable diversions. It took me almost one and half hours to get to the venue from the airport.

7. The morning session was by Mr. Sanjeev Goyal of Mitsu and representatives from Sedo. Mr. Sanjeev was very down to earth and forthright in his speech and the representatives from Sedo also gave a nice account about Sedo. They were a friendly bunch.

8. Mike Mann connected through Skype and he was his usual entertaining and exuberant self. He talked on why people should only invest in .Com and maybe selected country level domains. I enjoyed the session.

9. We had a break for morning hi-tea and I got to meet Mr. Sanjeev. He is a class act; very down to earth,friendly and humble for a man who is the face of Indian domain space. He took great pains to ensure that each of the participants were settled in, at the conference. I could also see the passion he has in the subject and when I left the conference, I felt I made a good friend.

10.The session by Jeffery Sass of .Club was excellent. He articulated the new G's position especially, .Club and countered on why people should invest in new G's. I really feel that .Club may eventually be the winner in the long run and potentially top the new G's leader board. I also got to meet Jeff at the break and he was very nice and friendly. I enjoyed talking with him. He is the typical friendly Floridan.

11. Manish Khanna gave an energetic account of valuation of domains and he also patiently explained some of the intricacies to me at the break. Very friendly.

12. Prakhar is a nice guy, who I met at the lunch break. His session was about some of the domains brokered by him including some to Disney.

13. The session by Dr. Govind the CEO of National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) was excellent. He talked in depth about NIXI and .IN registry. Very knowledgable and not your regular bureaucrat. He came across a person genuinely interested in making a difference in the .IN domain space and very approachable. We may crib about the whole auction thing, but I sincerely believe that the .IN registry is in good hands and as investors we should feel good.

14. I got to meet Sai Pola. Very nice guy! He has shown how to build a million dollar business with just a good domain name. He gave a nice presentation. I enjoyed speaking with him. Another down to earth person and very humble for a man who has accomplished quite a bit in domaining.

15. The session by Pavan Duggal on IP was enlightening. He talked about a very complex subject in layman terms and I came away understanding a bit more about IP.

16.The Masterclass in investing in Chinese domains was another great session by Simon Cousins and Arto Isokoski.

17. I did not stay on for the Ice bucket challenge as I had a flight to catch. All in all an excellent trip, where I made good connections and it was definitely the conference to attend!

18. The food at the conference, right up to the snacks, before the ice bucket challenge, was very good.

My final thoughts: The conference lived up to the hype of being the first conference in domaining in India. Congratulations to all the organizers who made it happen!

Disclaimer: Not associated in any way, in any capacity, to the event. Attended as a regular participant.

'

One more important issue to mention.... Dr. Govind .CEO, Nixi clear stand on domain name sale/purchase for investment issue.. he said that involvement of end user in this practice has no issue ... only when registrars involved in this practice will be taken strictly. Even India's top Cyber laywer Mr. Pawan Duggal (Also WIPO Arbitrator) also cleared in front of Dr. Govind that nowhere in the rule or in cyberlaw it was written that same is illegal ?

Thanks to all for attending... it was first effort on such level but it was a good learning experience........... next time you will a see more interactive session.

Ron Jackson and Adam Dicker have not talked at the event?

On last minute after lot of discussion WDD dropped their name because we donot want speakers are get repeated. If you repeat speaker within short period then what new the attendee will see.....

Ron Jackson and Adam Dicker have not talked at the event?

I think they are speakers for Domainx conference (Our Speakers Categories DOMAINX) but not for the WDD (Speakers - World Domain Day World Domain Day)

On last minute after lot of discussion WDD dropped their name because we donot want speakers are get repeated. If you repeat speaker within short period then what new the attendee will see.....

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom