Wolfram Alpha to rival Google?

IT.com

Ceres

Competition is a good thing, as it will likely make people work even harder. So will Google work even harder once WolframAlpha is launched in May 2009?

According to an article in the Guardian, British scientist Stephen Wolfram plans to launch a new internet search engine:

... so powerful that one expert has suggested it "could be as important as Google".

Wolfram has indicated that users will be able to input questions and the system will calculate the answers based on its extensive mathematical and scientific engine.

It will be interesting to test out this new search engine, and to find how good it really is.

Thanks for sharing, Ceres.
Competition is essential.

One of my peeves is the inability to search for the most chronologically relevant article/publication via Google - unless there is something I don't know about Google.

Since Friday, Wolfram Alpha has been live for testing. So, if you have some fact-based questions, ask away. I had fun testing it out:

I entered "population India" and the answer given was 1.17 billion as at 2007.

I entered "domainer" and it asked if I meant "container" :p

I entered "distance from India to Canada." The answer given was 6902 miles, plus via aircraft it takes 12.5 hours.

I entered "fastest land animal" and the answer was acinonyx jubatus. It didn't give me the non-scientific name (ie cheetah).

If you enter a website url, it will provide the hosting location and web stats etc.

I entered my birth date, and it reminded me how old I am! :eek:

Despite not receiving answers to all my questions, I think Wolfram Alpha has great potential. The only time I could see links to websites was under source information (towards the bottom of page).

Note, the blog states that the website will periodically go offline while more testing is carried out.

Ceres, thanks for sharing. i must too tired of google dominating internet. internet is just revolving around google.

its time for a change now ;-)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom