WILL this DESTROY any potential gains from .In domains??

IT.com
Did you read the cost too fill application? It will be available only to millionaires and even they have no guarantee to get such a domain without extension. I don't see it as any even remote threat to regular domain names unless they lower prices drastically.

They're just talking about the new TLDs, which they are misintepreting as "second level domains without the TLD".

Yes I do realise that the costs involved will be extremely high for mere mortals like us but for the large corporations, $185k to register a domain is NOTHING, its just pennies for large companies, therefore will this not effect the value of normal top level domain extensions like .com and .in??

will this not effect the value of normal top level domain extensions like .com and .in??

I don't think so. Many people will be typing these extensions out of habit. Imagine someone buys www.cars. Now every other person will be typing www.cars.com or similar name. As a result they also will be interested to buy these extensions.

Another thing, how do they write such a name on their business cards? www.cars looks like a car without one wheel. It looks like a defective domain name. It will take another decade before ordinary people learn it is a correct name and they can also type it without extension.

Finally, only big concerns can afford throwing so much money into a domain name, therefore it will be a very tiny fraction of the domain market. People will be still happily trading their names for XX$ - XXXXX$.

Kokoro, i agree to most of your thoughts....when I think from pessimistic angle what if they change the game later say 2 years to 3 years later to keep such domains available at 9 $ for normal registration

throw some light on your thoughts... there is a slightest risk I am seeing with this extension launching...

cheers

Thank you DomainPundit, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Most of my domain names have potential within 5-8 years but if the game changes by then, where will we be left??

Truekumar , Honestly I dont worry too much on this one honestly.....

today and earlier days too .com is/was king of domains , is this stopped the domain game of other extensions like .de,.co.uk, .in...etc , nope ... there are many other top level domains are also released.... irrespective of what ever the extensions the market continues its own way , however ups and downs will be there for a while.... I strongly believe this change wont reach the common people that easily.... take the scenario , Indian internet industry is relatively very young despite of that most of the people still using .COM , why dont they switch to .in immediately its very easy to type 2 letters extension than three letters extension and also represents the country India.. In reality .in is not in comparable position .com in India despite of .in launched in 2005, almost 6 + years back.. there are many other comparisons I can see on a similar note....

Last but not least any business attracts profits and as well as losses.... If a business person has the fear of loosing then its better to step out of that business doing the proper profit/risk/loss analysis.

Cheers

This just in from DomainIncite:

Minds + Machines has been named as the “exclusive registry and consulting services provider” for a .mumbai top-level domain application.

The company said that India TL Domain Pvt Ltd, which appears to be a new company, has also secured the necessary government support for its ICANN application.

Full story

Thanks Euroflash.....So what do you guys reckon now? This is starting to sound very worrying for .In investors!

I don't think an extension such as .mumbai will be a threat to .in at all. Yes, it will be an alternative to some companies and organizations specific to this city. But .in is the national extension and will be the preferred (more so than .com I predict) extension in the future.

.mobi was also supposed to dominate sites suitable for mobile phones, but look at that extension now...

Thanks Euroflash.....So what do you guys reckon now? This is starting to sound very worrying for .In investors!

Apart from its natural use as India's national TLD, .IN is one of the most important actors in the future scenery of extensions, because, unlike other "vanity" TLDs, it can be easily branded as "INternet", "INformation", "INternational", ecc. So, if startups are already using these alternative TLDs with no real branding potential as described here, just imagine how big .IN's potential is.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you ask me, .mumbai is not worrying me at all. Who would need a domain with such extension? Only some local companies. Even if I ran a small business in Mumbai, I would still prefer .in to .mumbai for my domain name by 100 times. This is very niche extension. Look at .asia. It has gigantic scope compared to .mumbai and it is too weak to be calculated by Google Trends even.

Not to mention that it's long! Who the heck may want to type such a long extension? Look at .travel. It had to be a game changer in its industry, nowadays you have some superpremium keywords, taken even in some obscure ccTLDs (which are only 2 letters long) that are available in .travel

I still think this is looking quite worrying for .In and other top level domain extension investors:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13835997

From the article I read:

"It will cost $185,000 (£114,000) to apply for the suffixes, and companies would need to show they have a legitimate claim to the name they are buying."

I think it will have absolutely no impact on domaining for 3 reasons:

- "companies would need to show they have a legitimate claim to the name they are buying": first (not easy!) step to obtain this new type of domain name.

- "$185,000": if your goal is to sell domains in the XXX XXX range, yes, it can have a little impact...

- I take an example: if the name of your company is Practo, and if you achieve to create the .pratco extension. Would you let practo.com, pratco.net or pratco.TLD available? Certainly not.

So, don't worry :)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom