India now third biggest internet user

IT.com

the_poet

Country flag
I'm not sure whether this has been posted, anyway that's some great news for the .IN namespace.

With a user base of 100 million, the country now stands third in the world in terms of the number of people surfing the net, an official of internet search engine Google said in Kolkata on Tuesday. "China has the highest number of internet users at 300 million followed by the US with 207 million.
Read more...

The article says 40M of India's 100M people online access it through their phones. Does that mean India only has 60M people accessing the internet via computers? I think that number is actually higher.

@warbux

That number may actually be right. I would even say it's more like 50-50. The mobile revolution happened in India at about the same time as laptops were taking off and mobiles won the race!

But IMO the Internet usage on mobiles would be mostly non-productive (movies, facebook etc) with email (that too partially) being the only top productive work. M-commerce is yet to take off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mobile screens are small, so it is difficult to do anything productive as there may be errors while typing. PCs and laptops are more convenient.

600m mobile users soon internet access maybe a standard feature!
Mblaze stick is just 1000Rs. Internet access will be as cheap as the mobile use which is around 1 pais per minute.

i also heard from a friend that 99 Rs/month ( 2.4 USD) plan from Airtel and other leading service providers... Wow quite exiciting and I believe India will rocks as a knowledge hub... .. This is a classic example of infrastructure development at affordable prices...Still has to improve the speed of net which i am sure will happens in next 5 to 10 years, and the internet speed in west and India are comparable definitely in next 10 years... no doubts in that...

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom