Investigations.in

IT.com

SCOTTH

Hi everyone. New to the forum.
I would appreciate appraisals on this one. I was thinking along the lines of background investigations, criminal investigations, credit,... I even read that pre-nuptial investigations were popular in India.

Anyvalue? Worth holding?

Welcome to INForum Scott!

I think that it's a great name - very generic, so lots of different kinds of possible end users.

I'd peg it at high $xx to $1xx reseller. If you get an unsolicited approach for it, I'd start out by asking low $x,xxx though.

Hi SCOTTH,

Welcome to the forum :)

I also think it is a keeper.

I own investigators.in and have already had offers in the US$XXX but am not letting it go just yet.

Long term thinkers in the Indian domain market will be the winners IMHO!

People in it for a quick buck will miss out on the real money.

Regards

Ed Keay-Smith
OzDomainer.com

I keep running into you in whois while checking for names.... lol

You've got some nice ones.

I'm going into this with plans on holding long term. So many good generics available. It's almost like .com was back in the 90's.

Thanks for the welcome and for your comment. Appreciated.

Hi Scott,

Yes I have a very wide spread of domains on many subjects and it keeps getting wider.

I have about 350 .co.in & .in domains now which is not that many really.

Some of my first Indian domains were not that great looking back but have gotten better as time goes bye.

I keep saying to my wife that this will either be a huge waste of time and money or one of the best things I could have done. I am following my gut on the latter! :)

Looking back 10 years or so at what has happened in the .com and other ccTLD markets it is a bit of a no brainer really.

I have been registering domain names since about 1998 when I registered my first .com.au domain shortcourse.com.au but only registered a handfull of names none of which were very valuable. I understood that domain names were valuable but I did not have the knowledge or budget to register them or do the research.

Now with the tools available anyone can spend some time researching domain names and find some gems. Acres of Diamonds are at our feet (especially in the Indian domain market) but everyone seems to be off looking elswhere and not just looking down at whats right at their feet!

Good fortunes with your domain prospecting.

I look forward to running across you in the Whois lists LOL

Regards

Ed
OzDomainer

I must say I'm slightly less bullish about .in. Firstly, the great domainers of the 90's had youth on their side and could wait 10 years or so to make good deals. Secondly, they had type-in traffic to make them more than enough to live off something .in lacks and may never get. Maybe I'm missing something. Ozdomainer, you have 350 you said, are they paying for themselves? Or, are they money out of your pocket every year? Jeff, how about you? And to wait 5 or 10 years, yikes. That's alot of money out of pocket. Would they even make back your investment at that point?

--Chris

Hi gentlesavage,

Some of my domains pay there way and then some with type in traffic, others do not.

I have developed a few sites so far that have been paying for themselves and many others and I have sold a few ( some .com and .co.in) that have paid for for all my domains reg fees.

So I have not made a profit at the moment but again am looking long term down the track.

If I have to sell a few to help keep the rest then I will and I am.

I sold lastminutetravel.co.in a few months back for US$1500 so that money gets reinvested back into more domains and some for content & development.

I have seen what people & businesses have been paying for .com.au domains recently and it is in the tens of thousands and we are a population of only 25 Million people.
As you know India has 1.1 Billion so to me it is simply a numbers game. Time & number of end users in India = Healthy returns in a few years or so.

We will all just have to wait and see but I for one am not going to be a fence sitter and am willing to have an educated bet that my efforts will pay off. Fingers crossed LOL

Regards

Ed

OZdomainer,

When you say some of your domains are making enough money are you just talking about .co.in and .in or other extensions as well? That's gotta be over 5000 dollars a year US currency to renew 350 domains. Being that most, if not all, .coms are out of my reach I'm focusing on .in exclusively and it would be nice if they paid for themselves over time.

Well .com are indeed the best investment. They would quickly repay and would repay with good profits in most cases. On the other hand .in and .co.in doesn't have that good market. So better stick to .com for the present. Invest in .in but your profits would come in a bit late. Consider it long term investment.

Hi again gentlesavage,

My income comes from many different domain extension including .co.in & .in but also .net, .org & .co.uk and of late some of my .com.au domains.

So it is spread all over the place but I have sold some of my domains and I do get decent PPC money from sites I have built out that will make a few dollars a day from ads.

Yes the renewals have to be paid but it is all part of the long term plan.

In regards to what "astalavista" said in his post above.

Well I disagree! To say a .com domain is better than a .co.in or .in or any other extension for that matter especially a ccTLD you will have to be much more specific with you details on why and what type of .com domain are you comparing to a .in etc

Lets take one of my domains to use as an example. waterpurifiers.in
Now I agree to have the .com in any domain that is the premium generic for your subject can be a great thing BUT and this is a big BUT! Most people do not have the money to own that one or two word .com. If the target market is local as in India then the .in has more authority and trust in that market than a .com does and this will only get stronger over time. In Australia the .com.au is KING and in the United Kingdom the .co.uk is KING (or Queen for them really) same for Germany's .de etc etc

Now India is still a developing nation and granted it has a fair way to go but once it locks on to its ccTLD, look out as it will be something else IMHO.

So what I am saying is give me waterpurifiers.in over bestwaterpurifiersetc.com any day of the week. My site is sitting at a healthy position 8 on Google India's SERPs but that is not just because it is a .in name, I could probably do just as well with a .biz

The value to the end user (especially if their market is mainly India) is in owning the generic domain for their product or service. It is no different to the same principals that exist in the .com space. If I had waterpurifiers.com it would be a very different strategy as I would have to try and make it fit a global market place not just India which is why I love .co.in & .in, it is a targeted market and a very large one at that.

I have some half decent .com domains that do ok with parking & ppc but I have much better results from my .net's & .org's

Some examples are sdcamcorders.com, onlinevirtualworlds.com, coatingpans.com, leddownlights.com and travelbytrain.net, atticladders.net, electricalswitches.net, seacontainers.net, adslrouters.org, safetygear.org, swimmingpoolcovers.org

All of the .net & .org domains make more money than the .coms because the subject matter has more searches and they get rankings in the SERPs. Now If I had the .com equivalents of my .net & org names I am more than certain they would make much more money but I don't have the capital to buy those names and am happy to have the ones I have got.

The key is the owning the generic phrase no matter what the TLD or ccTLD if you stick with those then they will AlWAYS have a higher value than a made up domain like bestatticladdersetc.com and will be much easier to sell to an end user.

Cheers

Ed

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gname
Top Bottom