Indian Startups and Domain Names

IT.com

Ceres

I came across an interesting interview of Dr. Amitabh Saran, who is the co-founder and MD of BuzzinTown.com - an events and entertainment guide for Indian cities. Alexa rank in India is 370.

Dr. Saran obviously understands how important it is to get the domain before deciding on a brand for your business, and to get the cctld of the country you're marketing in (ie. not just the .com):

Of course, these days it is very important to be able to get the domain name (Buzzintown.com, .co. in, .in) also before you decide on a brand. We were lucky that people had not thought of it! [emphasis added]
I've come across businesses which announce a new brand or service only to have forgotten to register the domain beforehand (whether it be a .com, .in, .ca etc). An example.

Hopefully, more startups will come to think like Dr. Saran. I'm still seeing a lot of Indian startups registering the .com only, even when the site is mainly aimed at the Indian marketplace. Here are some previous stats.

What have your observations been about Indian startups and domain names?

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom