Yahoo now promoting. IN instead of .CO.IN?

IT.com

Ceres

I notice the Yahoo "It's Y!ou" campaign in India is promoting Yahoo.in (if you look at the yellow ad, it has "www.yahoo.in" at the bottom left-hand corner). My recollection is that Yahoo used to promote Yahoo.co.in.

As most of you already know, .IN domains only became available some years after the .co.in

Both .in and .co.in actually redirect to m.in.yahoo.com. However, Yahoo does the same in many other countries. For example, in Canada, Yahoo promotes Yahoo.ca but when you type the url it redirects to ca.yahoo.com.

Do you think we'll see more companies making the switch from .co.in to .in? Will Google ever promote Google.in instead of Google.co.in...?

Thanks Ceres.

Apart from many reputed companies shifting to/redirecting to .in from .co.in, I find, of late, that even reputed educational institutions are shifting to .in.

As recently as about 5 months ago, a popular and reputed University in India, ICFAI, had its official site at icfaiuniversity.org. I came to know today that it has now changed to icfaiuniversity.in. As I draft this post, the .org extension does not host any pages.

The numbers of companies shifting to .in will only increase over time and I for one won't be surprised if Google too switches to .in. After all, it is the In thing now (and in all probability - forever)!

It's great to see an Indian university switching from .org to .in.

BTW, who knows why the ICFAI doesn't want visitors from the USA and Canada visiting its website? :eek: I get this message when I try and access icfaiuniversity.in from Canada:

This website is blocked for visitors from USA and Canada

Anyone else seeing this message?

Yes i get the same message.....very strange. Happy to see them adopting .in though.

To those who say.... "Yahoo and google use .co.in, so .co.in is dominating .in" now have one less pillar of support because yahoo has finally given .in preference.

BTW, who knows why the ICFAI doesn't want visitors from the USA and Canada visiting its website? :eek: I get this message when I try and access icfaiuniversity.in from Canada:

Anyone else seeing this message?

Very strange indeed. I don't think I have ever been blocked from another site before because I am Canadian.

I think that if it were the other way around there would be trouble!

As far as Yahoo promoting .in ...more great news for .in holders!

Thanks for sharing.
I think we will look back on this time as an opportunity to 'Buy (.IN) Low and Sell High'.

I am amazed at the low price of quality .IN domains being floated on the forums.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom