WP 3.0 has some interesting features listed here:

http://mashable.com/2010/05/10/new-features-wordpress-3/

Summary:

1. Custom Post Types
  2. Menu Management
  3. Custom Taxonomies
  4. New Default Theme: "Twentyten"
  5. Multi-site
I think for domainers no. 5 would be helpful for making many minisites on one installation.

Thanks Ace. Interesting article. I use WordPress all the time and didn't know a lot of that.

The multisite capability sounds great, especially for people with lots of minisites. I'll need to look into this further.

The multi-site thing is actually the WordPress MU merged into the core now. However I don't think it could be used by the average domainer to create multiple sites with one WP installation. This kind of setup is used more like blogs of different employees or like several columnists of the same magazine.

The easiest way is to get a Cpanel+Fantastico unlimited or reseller hosting and do 1-click WordPress installs for each domain. Easier to maintain and transfer when the domain (& minisite) sells. Such packages cost between $15 to $30 per month (for unlimited domains with WP installs).

Other interesting features in WP 3.0 are the "your own short URL" and "unique author templates".

All-in-all, the new features make WP 3.0 more CMS like and easier to create mini-sites.

Have a look at my WordPress beta testing ground on BlogEasily.com

Cheers!

A quick note while you folks are on WordPress. If any of you are having older version WordPress installs, I recommend that you upgrade them immediately to the latest stable version i.e., 2.9.2.

Few of my sites on versions 2.7.x to 2.8.x got malware injection and I am going through painful upgrades now. A stitch in time could have saved nine!

The multi-site thing is actually the WordPress MU merged into the core now. However I don't think it could be used by the average domainer to create multiple sites with one WP installation. This kind of setup is used more like blogs of different employees or like several columnists of the same magazine.
Thanks did not know that.

The easiest way is to get a Cpanel+Fantastico unlimited or reseller hosting and do 1-click WordPress installs for each domain. Easier to maintain and transfer when the domain (& minisite) sells. Such packages cost between $15 to $30 per month (for unlimited domains with WP installs).
I really like to use WP for minsites, but there is a downside to it. The disadvantage of this approach is that for every minsite of say 4-5 pages, one has to install WP, which is an overkill in terms of server resources. Don't you think? I had imagined that with WordPress MU, the core installation would remain same, so that we are *not* duplicating the same sets of files. Its a lot easier to maintain too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like to use WP for minsites, but there is a downside to it. The disadvantage of this approach is that for every minsite of say 4-5 pages, one has to install WP, which is an overkill in terms of server resources. Don't you think? I had imagined that with WordPress MU, the core installation would remain same, so that we are duplicating the same sets of files. Its a lot easier to maintain too.

Also, everytime there is a WordPress upgrade, which seems to happen quite often, you must upgrade each minisite individually, which is a lot of work.

Good list of features. Wordpress has made its identity through its good number of features which has made it a widely used CMS.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom