WordPress 2.8 Will Be Released in May

Ceres

On May xxth, 2009, WordPress Version 2.8, named for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, will be released to the public. For more information on this enhancement and bug-fix release, read the Development Blog and see the Changelog for 2.8.
If you want to test out WordPress 2.8 Beta 1, you can download it here.

You can view a list of all the new features here.

Since the release of WordPress 2.7, upgrading is very easy. You can use the automatic upgrade option via Tools/Upgrade Menu.

Ceres

Are there any security issues with the current release?
Currently, there are no security issues reported on the WordPress site.

However, I just came across a blog post on Perishable Press that talks about an important security fix for WordPress. The writer explains that if your server crashes, WordPress sometimes display the WordPress Installation Page to your visitors. This can possibly allow hackers to take control of your website.

You will see from the comments that some people think the displayed Installation Page is not a major security risk, while others think it is. What are your views?

I don't think it's a risk I want to take, and therefore we should delete/block/modify the wp-admin/install.php file as suggested by Perishable Press.

Ace

Nice, I can install a new version now fir my new blog. It seems that they have fixed 790 bugs. And they claim to be lot faster.

Ceres

Nice, I can install a new version now fir my new blog. It seems that they have fixed 790 bugs. And they claim to be lot faster.
Good luck Ace. I automatically upgraded from 2.7.1 to 2.8 in about 2 minutes. Not bad, eh? :p

I haven't really noticed the new features yet, but maybe that's because I don't explore WordPress too much!

pubdomains.in

install.php should be renamed not just in WP but any script that you have used to install on your webserver - some softwares infact don't let you move forward until you remove the install directory (and install.php) !!!

Thanks for sharing the tips from perishable blog Ceres!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan How Morgan Linton launched WordPress site on his traffic domain from scratch in a weekend Resources 0
Prashant Sharan WordPress creator Automattic ditches a great feature for its JetPack plugin. Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Why Wix, Weebly in Squarespace exist alongside WordPress Resources 0
Prashant Sharan .blog + wordpress = 200,000 regs for .blog New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan GoDaddy execs talk about WordPress and the domain aftermarket. Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan WordPress.com to use Donuts Relevant Name Search Resources 0
Prashant Sharan WordPress announces free .blog subdomains New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Escrow.com releases payment gateway for WooCommerce and WordPress The Lounge 0
domainking131 How to Add Google Analytics to Your WordPress Website Webmaster Forum 1
domainking131 WordPress promises not to increase prices on .Blog domain name renewals New GTLDs 0
tulip Best WordPress themes Websites 2
domainking131 Morgan Linton suggests VaultPress plugin on Wordpress Webmaster Forum 1
Mikhaela Blogger vs. WordPress Webmaster Forum 10
J Wordpress effective plugin Websites 1
Roshni Wordpress SEO? Marketing Your Website 4
IamAnhart Good Webhoster for Wordpress site? Hosting 4
Mallard Lightweight alternatives to wordpress? Development Options 6
Jeff Wordpress Speed Optimisation Webmaster Forum 19
H Finding a great host for WooCommerce and WooCommerce wordpress site Hosting 5
domainking131 GoDaddy Acquires ManageWP For Best WordPress Management And Hosting Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 WP.org Donated To WordPress Foundation Non-Indian Domains 1
D WordPress Security Webmaster Forum 12
domainking131 WordPress reveals it bought .blog for $19 million New GTLDs 1
Rob101 Joomla or Wordpress Webmaster Forum 27
domainking131 How To Write Perfect SEO-Optimized Articles in WordPress Marketing Your Website 4
domainking131 WordPress 4.5 Is Out Webmaster Forum 0
S WordPress Wallpaper Theme With Multi Resolutions Webmaster Forum 0
domainking131 GoDaddy Announces Global Hot 100 List of Top WordPress Plugins and Themes Non-Indian Domains 0
DomainSherpa WordPress Bad Faith?; Nat Cohen Takes Frivolous UDRP to Court & Wins; Sherpas’ Oldest Domains; How t The Lounge 0
domainking131 WordPress wins another round against Chris Pearson Non-Indian Domains 0
E Monthly 35$ + Adsense Earning Wordpress Wallpaper site for sale Websites 0
domainking131 WordPress wins WordrPress.org domain name in Arbitration Non-Indian Domains 0
D Wanted : Unused/inactive wordpress blogs with domain name Domains Wanted 0
CyberKing Google blacklists 11,000 WordPress sites Webmaster Forum 1
D Free Wordpress blog, with free Webhosting , ad supported For Sale / Advertising 3
Rajat 125x125 banner on PR4 WordPress Theme Site with DA: 48,PA: 57 For Sale / Advertising 0
indy Indian ISP Blocks Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter & over 300 websites General Indian Domain Name Discussion 4
Rajat Free neat and clean WordPress Theme for multipurpose use Webmaster Forum 0
lovedream4u wordpress plugin to list ur domains easily .. Webmaster Forum 0
Xarzu How Do I Fix This WordPress PlugIn Issue? Webmaster Forum 0
Ace WordPress 3.0 Important Fetaures Webmaster Forum 10
Xarzu I want to write my own wordpress plugin Webmaster Forum 3
Ceres Hindi Version of WordPress Webmaster Forum 8
Ceres Upgrade to WordPress 2.8.6 Webmaster Forum 0
V Automated Content Wordpress Site Service | $25 each For Sale / Advertising 0
Ceres Update your WordPress blog - Déjà vu? Webmaster Forum 0
Ceres Time to Upgrade to WordPress 2.8.1 Webmaster Forum 15
navjotjsingh Wordpress Install and Update Services For Sale / Advertising 1
Jeff dotMobi Releases Wordpress Mobility Plugin Webmaster Forum 1
Ceres Wordpress 2.6.5 Vulnerability? Webmaster Forum 1