WIPO Case: Philadelphia.es

IT.com

Ceres

I notice there's a pending WIPO UDRP case involving the domain Philadelphia.es. The complainant is Kraft Foods (the food company that makes the Philadelphia cream cheese).

Of course, Philadelphia is also a US city.

Philadelphia.es does not resolve to a website, and I couldn't see anything on Archive.org.

This will be an interesting case to follow, don't you think?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Philadelphia.es decision (plus English translation).The respondent, who did not file a response, lost the domain to Kraft Foods. As far as I can tell, this generic domain name was not parked. I've seen cases where the respondent won even though they didn't file a response. I think this should have happened in the Philadelphia.es case.

I don't see how the respondent infringed on Kraft's food-related trademark and I think this is a worrisome decision. What about Philadelphia the city? What about company names that incorporate the word "Philadelphia?" What about those that also own trademarks that include the word "Philadelphia." In short, I don't believe Kraft Food owns exclusive right to the term Philadelphia...

The thing about WIPO cases is that their decisions can be capricious as hell...

Wasn't there a recent case where the arbiter started prattling about how their (WIPO) decisions weren't reliant on precedent, then to justify this position, he basically just strung together a bunch of random legalese that had no decipherable meaning?

I think people are quick to refer to institutions they disagree with as being a 'joke'.
Truly, by every objective standard, the rulings in the WIPO/UDRP process are an absolute, gut-busting joke over 50% of the time.

It's like they want all the authority inherent to a procedural system of redress, without bothering to take the necessary steps to ensure it's fair and equitable. They truly define "Kangaroo Court"

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom