WIPO Case: Philadelphia.es

Ceres

I notice there's a pending WIPO UDRP case involving the domain Philadelphia.es. The complainant is Kraft Foods (the food company that makes the Philadelphia cream cheese).

Of course, Philadelphia is also a US city.

Philadelphia.es does not resolve to a website, and I couldn't see anything on Archive.org.

This will be an interesting case to follow, don't you think?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceres

Here's the Philadelphia.es decision (plus English translation).The respondent, who did not file a response, lost the domain to Kraft Foods. As far as I can tell, this generic domain name was not parked. I've seen cases where the respondent won even though they didn't file a response. I think this should have happened in the Philadelphia.es case.

I don't see how the respondent infringed on Kraft's food-related trademark and I think this is a worrisome decision. What about Philadelphia the city? What about company names that incorporate the word "Philadelphia?" What about those that also own trademarks that include the word "Philadelphia." In short, I don't believe Kraft Food owns exclusive right to the term Philadelphia...

Dman

The thing about WIPO cases is that their decisions can be capricious as hell...

Wasn't there a recent case where the arbiter started prattling about how their (WIPO) decisions weren't reliant on precedent, then to justify this position, he basically just strung together a bunch of random legalese that had no decipherable meaning?

I think people are quick to refer to institutions they disagree with as being a 'joke'.
Truly, by every objective standard, the rulings in the WIPO/UDRP process are an absolute, gut-busting joke over 50% of the time.

It's like they want all the authority inherent to a procedural system of redress, without bothering to take the necessary steps to ensure it's fair and equitable. They truly define "Kangaroo Court"

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Digital Pandit WIPO had to deal with 50,000th cybersquatting case over two decades Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Geico wins WIPO case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Instagram LLC created WIPO case for Instagram.biz Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Naturals.com subject of WIPO case; Complainant uses Naturals.in Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Ceres Owner of DKB.com Loses Domain in WIPO Case Legal Issues and Dispute 4
Ceres Indian Bank Wins KotakBank.com in WIPO case Legal Issues and Dispute 2
Ceres WIPO Case: A Predicable Outcome Legal Issues and Dispute 2
Digital Pandit WIPO delivered its first UDRP decision; declares that sanofi.sucks is cybersquatting Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit UMass Memorial HealthAlliance loses a UDRP for urgentCareLeominster.com at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit MYS.com is now in the UDRP purview at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit A great read : This WIPO panel proves that having a trademark will not always win cases Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit WIPO is out with its 2019 report: Covers 6,298 domain names and 3,693 UDRPs Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit CVS Pharmacy, Inc. isn’t too thrilled with registartion of "CVS.inc", files WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Cybersquatting cases move up in number in 2019 at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit WIPO panelist declines RDNH because of reasons even unknown to him apparently Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit WIPO panelist missed to find complainant's fault of reverse domain name hijacking Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Important: Wednesday Webinar of ICA/WIPO to Address WhoIs Mess - thanks to GDPR Resources 0
Digital Pandit A UDRP respondent from Australia tells WIPO panelist to “fuck off” Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit WIPO issues WRONG report regarding domain name disputes in 2018 Resources 0
Digital Pandit WIPO SEMI-ANNUAL REPORT — 73 DIFFERENT PANELISTS DENY COMPLAINTS Legal Issues and Dispute 0
JulienJ WIPO domain name cybersquatting cases reach new record in 2017 (infographic) Legal Issues and Dispute 0
JulienJ WIPO shares some facts about 2017 UDRP filings Legal Issues and Dispute 0
JulienJ WIPO panel screws Domaining.com owner Francois Carrillo out of Ado.com Legal Issues and Dispute 1
domainking131 WIPO UDRP Filings up 4.6% in 2015 Non-Indian Domains 0
the_poet India Joins the International Trademark System at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 2
the_poet Indian complainant is awarded .com from WIPO, but owns neither the TM nor .in/.co.in General Indian Domain Name Discussion 12
Ceres Complainant Wins Typo Domain in WIPO Dispute Legal Issues and Dispute 3
Ceres WIPO: Telecom Company Loses Tata-Telecom.com Legal Issues and Dispute 1
Ceres WIPO Decision: "Ta Ta Bye Bye" to Domain Name Legal Issues and Dispute 16
Ceres WIPO Allows Consolidated Complaint Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit IP lobby demands halt to Whois reform in Org's case Registrars 0
Digital Pandit This is a very unique and confusing case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit SiteLock v. GoDaddy case is getting uglier by the day Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit DNW Podcast: Domain Investing case study with Mark Levine Resources 0
Digital Pandit RIP .case, .caseih and .newholland New GTLDs 0
Digital Pandit RDNH alert in the GreenGlobe.com case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit The interesting case of .bible domain name promoter going bust New GTLDs 0
Digital Pandit Complainant submitted falsified documents in cheapstuff.com UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Here is how you can whip an invoice just in case a buyer wants one Resources 0
Digital Pandit Doxing goes beyond the free speech line in UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Podcast Alert !! : ICA general counsel Zak Muscovitch discusses the case of booking.com at SCOTUS Resources 0
Digital Pandit D’Agostinos Markets, Inc. files a cybersquatting case and loses it Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit The curious case of a $2,500 dotOrg domain name Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit PureTalk sues to upgrade its domain name after it lost a UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Cybersquatting case to get SixthStreet.com Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Oregan man found guilty of RDNH in pickleball cybersquatting case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Mike Mann successfully defends the domain name Tergus.com in a UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit SiteTools, Inc. saved Pocketbook.com in a UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit France’s appeal in France.com case rejected Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit AbdulBasit Makrani wins AguaDulce.com domain reverse domain name hijacking case Legal Issues and Dispute 0