Windows7.co.in

IT.com
Unfortunately, it infringes on Microsoft's mark. I think Microsoft would easily win this domain in an INDRP dispute.

IMHO, these type of sales do not do domainers any favours. It just adds to the already-existing impression that "domainers are cybersquatters." :(

Well, as long as Microsoft isn't going after the name(which they have a right to), then it will remain just what it is- just a TM infringement. Other than that, Great sale for .co.in.

Unfortunately, it infringes on Microsoft's mark. I think Microsoft would easily win this domain in an INDRP dispute.

IMHO, these type of sales do not do domainers any favours. It just adds to the already-existing impression that "domainers are cybersquatters." :(

Your absolutely right. This is a clear TM infringement.

Update: The Whois for Windows7.co.in now shows it is owned by Microsoft.

I wonder if Microsoft actually bought the domain, or did it request the domain be transferred to them due to TM infringement?

I wonder if Microsoft actually bought the domain, or did it request the domain be transferred to them due to TM infringement?

I would be very interested to find out if they paid anything, or if the last buyer lost his investment

Nice catch Ceres!

I'm guessing that they've got Google alerts set for "Windows 7" and got wind of the sale.

Well if MS didn't buy it, then who paid the $10,200 Namebio reports was exchanged for the name? Something tells me MS paid that money..

Well if MS didn't buy it, then who paid the $10,200 Namebio reports was exchanged for the name? Something tells me MS paid that money..

I took a closer look at the Whois... After the domain sold in July, Whois changed to MediaMarket.net. Whois then changed to Microsoft at the end of September. Perhaps MediaMarket.net purchased the domain on behalf of Microsoft? I imagine Microsoft often uses third parties to purchase domains on their behalf.

I took a closer look at the Whois... After the domain sold in July, Whois changed to MediaMarket.net. Whois then changed to Microsoft at the end of September. Perhaps MediaMarket.net purchased the domain on behalf of Microsoft? I imagine Microsoft often uses third parties to purchase domains on their behalf.

really a dumb move to purchase windows7 .co.in imo.

and they behaving cheap with a indrp case for LLL .in :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
really a dumb move to purchase windows7 .co.in imo.

Why do you think it was a dumb move, chandan? Do you mean Microsoft should have taken it to arbitration?

and they behaving cheap with a indrp case for LLL .in :mad:

I assume you're referring to the pending INDRP case for MSN.in. For the domain owner, MSN.in was a somewhat risky domain to have registered. The problem is "MSN" is a worldwide famous mark, and it existed before Indian domains were even available for registration. Owners of famous trademarks enjoy special protection.

I disagree with your first statement. I'm very happy a potential domainer sold a .co.in for so much...good for them..
i am not saying anything abt old co.in owner. its nice he got a deal but just think in other way

it may lead to reg such names more in future . or shall we go and reg windows8 , 9 , 10 etc :D

Why do you think it was a dumb move, chandan? Do you mean Microsoft should have taken it to arbitration?

I assume you're referring to the pending INDRP case for MSN.in. For the domain owner, MSN.in was a somewhat risky domain to have registered. The problem is "MSN" is a worldwide famous mark, and it existed before Indian domains were even available for registration. Owners of famous trademarks enjoy special protection.

why MS should buy their own product windows7 ? really do not make sense to pay for a domain which is not a generic

msn is just a 3 letter domain with lot of abbreviations. even they had the chance of getting that domain in landrush but they not showed any interest that time.

if they are protecting their MSN brand why not they taking windows.in owner to indrp because they have windows.co.in already

Last edited by a moderator:
I view things differently. I see a cybersquatter giving legitimate domainers a bad name...

Don't get me wrong, cybersquatting is not good for us in general, but, if it was really cybersquatting, why didn't MS initiate a UDRP case against the owner? Also, TM laws are sometimes bs in my opinion because they are often based not on the solid technicalities of the domain name vis-a-vis the owner's interests/business/ownership rights ,but on special influence and who has money. Look at msn.in. "MSN" has over 280 acronyms, so how can an organization that uses the acronym as its name always be guaranteed the name knowing that there are so many legitimate uses for the name? I guess i feel strongly that LLL acronyms being used in TM cases is very controversial and contentious.

if it was really cybersquatting, why didn't MS initiate a UDRP case against the owner?

In some situations, it's cheaper and quicker for a company to pay for a domain rather than taking it to arbitration. Many companies would need to hire a lawyer to act on their behalf when commencing arbitration proceedings (and we all know lawyers aren't cheap!). My guess is that's what the original registrant of Windows7.co.in had hoped for. As we see, his/her risk paid off - however, in my opinion, it's at the expense of the reputation of the domain industry. :(

msn is just a 3 letter domain with lot of abbreviations.

"MSN" has over 280 acronyms

I totally agree that MSN can be an acronym for many other terms, however even LLLs are not completely risk-free. If a company has built a "famous" brand, a third party cannot use that term even in a different industry if it's likely to cause trademark dilution. So one relevant question is…. is MSN a "famous" trademark? Who gets to answer this question? - arbitration panel or a court of law?

even they had the chance of getting that domain in landrush but they not showed any interest that time.

From what I've seen, Microsoft usually favours .com over cctlds. For example, msn.ca forwards to ca.msn.com, msn.co.uk forwards to uk.msn.com and msn.de forwards to de.msn.com. One possible reason why Microsoft didn't go after msn.in during the landrush is that it's already using in.msn.com. In any event, Microsoft should have registered msn.in for defensive reasons.

if they are protecting their MSN brand why not they taking windows.in owner to indrp because they have windows.co.in already
Perhaps they will...

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom