Why there are seven days in a week?

IT.com

sanju123

Why we have seven days in a week, why not ten or so.Is it that the days have been finalized according to the names of shining planets or there is some other logic to it?:confused:

Sanju123, the calendar is double Dutch to me too. I think the answer you get depends on whom you ask!

Here are a few different explanations being thrown around:

(1) The 7-day week stems from an astrological tradition of naming the days after 7 visible celestial objects: Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn. For example, in Hindi, Sunday is "Ravivār" and the literal translation is "Sun day." In French, Thursday is "Jeudi" and the literal translation is "Jupiter's Day."

(2) Some people say there are 7 days because the bible states that God created earth in 6 days, and rested on the 7th day. In Hebrew, Sunday is "Yom Rishon" which means "first day." In Arabic, Monday is "yaum al-ithnayn" which means "second day."

(3) There are other people who say that 7 days was chosen because that's the approximate length one moon phase.

Take your pick! ;) Or there are even more explanations here and here.

Why we have seven days in a week, why not ten or so.Is it that the days have been finalized according to the names of shining planets or there is some other logic to it?:confused:
Hi sanju 123!
I shall never believe that you don?t know the answer for this simple question. There is a very interesting science of numbers. The name of this science Numerology. But the origins of this science is in the Kabbalah!!! There you can find the answer.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom