why is .in only 220 rupees or $ 2.50?

IT.com

iphone3g

I am just thinking why is this long promo with cheap prices. What is wrong with .in

I am sure its not flying.

I can think of 2 reasons

1) loads of drops. people not renewing them. see the drops, most are 3 yrs old as well. They have realised that its not worth holding them.

2) .in it self not flying ( its bit of a flop)

CAN ppl give me more reasons.

Is this promo only going to help registrars.

your reasons please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many ccTLDs have promos - .mx, .us and .cn come quickly to mind. And it's not just ccTLDs - I've seen .info have promotions as well.

I think that the registry is just trying to increase the use of the .in extension. It's a pretty normal marketing strategy to reduce prices of something temporarily.

the extentions you mentioned are not flying either.

I think .mx will do well. It's early days still....

.us sucks - it's really just poor marketing. If Godaddy or some other aggressive organization were in charge I think it would do well.

.cn would do well, but there's a really uncertain legal environment which hinders it.

.info is hampered by the fact that it's competing with .com, .net and .org. .In isn't competing with them.

I've seen .ph offer specials too. .tv, .asia have had specials recently as well. There are many more. The point is that lots of registries have specials as a marketing tool - there is nothing unusual about that.

.mx doesn't exists right now - you can only register .com.mx

Starting May 1 there is a sunrise period for .mx where anyone who owns a .com.mx can register the corresponding .mx.

I think in September open registration starts for .mx.

I too agree with Jeff..a lot of other ccTLDs come up with promos every now and then..however, if you compare with .IN, they still do not do as well as .IN does..also every Registry wants to increase their particular TLD's numbers..so nothing wrong with that I suppose..

Another important point here is that even during the promo, .IN is not being sold dirt cheap like a lot of other TLDs are sold.. .INFO and .CN had reduced their pricing considerably..some ccTLDs are given free..also, the Indian Rupee is also comparatively weak compared to a lot of other currencies..so their pricing is not very very cheap as such..

right they are not cheap. if you guys say .in are doing well.

How many lll.in are still available after 3-4 yrs.

and you guys say notting wrong with .in

You have to give some time to pickup the .in TLD. Lets be positive about it. Any new TLD takes time to pickup in the market.
There are lot many factors associated for not becoming popular.
1)domainers don't value new TLD very well.
2)Registry's and Registrar's unable to market the ccTLD
3)People of the county need to be more confident and buy thier own ccTLD for local business
4)People of the country need to be more familiar of their ccTLD. I see most of the developers suggest .com's rather than the ccTLD. They have to take more pride just like all others do.
5)FOR INDINA - what percentage of population do you think in India are familiar with computers - Not many. Maximum population in INDIA are still illiterate and poor - that is the fact and you cannot deny that.
6) the list goes on......

It is also up to us (as a domainers) to have more confidence in the .IN ccTLD and do more to bring this to a success and value them better.

yes..the list does goes on and on and on..but I see a changing market trend..and I am really glad to see that..

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom