Why buy .IN domains now rather than later...

IT.com

Ceres

Hey, here's another good reason why you should register your .IN domains now, rather than later: the internet might run out of IP addresses.

When the Internet Runs Out of IP Addresses

THE Internet is running out of room.

Experts predict that in two or three years we will run out of Web addresses, so-called IP addresses, that can be assigned to new Internet-based sites and services.

The new numbering system might not be ready by the time the internet runs out of IP addresses.

One expert suggested that, if the price is right, owners of unused IP addresses may be willing to transfer the space to new users.

thats the point of IPv6 isn't it?

That's right RaghavK, new combinations will be available via IPv6. However, some experts predict that the widespread implementation of IPv6 won't have happened by the time IPv4 addresses runs out:

Right now, users all run IPv4 computers, Web sites all run IPv4 Web servers, and ISPs all offer IPv4 transit.

Yes..there are speculations..but, I think we should be ready..but nevertheless, if we're not..the max thats gonna happen is that we will encounter IP black marketing..

im getting confused about what you mean to say actually.

actually ipv6 is a numbering system for internet protocol(IP) numbering system, its not related to domain names being taken off or increasing a domain's demand.

let me clarify that if you own a .in domain name, doesnt mean that you own an ip address itself. you need to buy an ip address from an ISP to own it.

a webhosting company buys some STATIC/FIXED/PERMANENT ip addresses to host domains, but people never buy STATIC ip addresses usually, they buy internet connections from ISP which is mostly provided by dynamic ip addresses, not static one, so they dont own an ip address fully if they are using dynamic ips.

so you mentioned in your topic title "Why buy .IN domains now rather than later..." do you really think if we buy a .in domain then we own an ip address free of cost which we can sell off? if yes then you maybe mistaken about the whole concept.

you can buy a permanent/static ip address from an isp, so there is no problem in that case.

now as far as the icann is concerned, it doesnt matter if you are using ipv4 or ipv6, a domain will be an entity for DNS(which converts domain name and points it to its appropriate ip address) which you can access with both ipv4 and ipv6. so there is nothing which will increase demand of .in domains if ipv4 addresses finish off. people will still be able to point .in domains to a web hosting company's nameservers which are running on ipv6 addresses. simple! infact ipv6 hosting providers hosting server access will be faster than ipv4 based hosting providers because of less traffic on the wire when there are intial days of ipv6. and lastly, ipv4 and ipv6 can both co-exist together without creating complications, means ipv4 address finish off but ipv6 addresses are there for people to use. and firefox and all browsers will be able to bowse sites running in both ipv4 and ipv6. and you will be able to access internet using internet connections which on ipv6 too just you do on ipv4 connections.

i would be happier if you can explain in more details to me about "how buying a .in domain will help when ipv4 addresses finish off early?", maybe im missing out on some important details to understand your point better, so i need a better explaination.

regards,
Abhishek

Hi Abhishek, sorry if I wasn't clear. ;)

I suppose what I meant (in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner) is that we should order our Indian domains, and then allocate IP addresses for them now. Just in case IP addresses under IPv4 run out before IPv6 is ready...

I suppose what I meant (in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner) is that we should order our Indian domains, and then allocate IP addresses for them now. Just in case IP addresses under IPv4 run out before IPv6 is ready...
i suppose what he meant is that you can have a number of domains running on the same ip address., so ip address shortage does not mean domains are going to be affected!
servers point domains to a specific ip address of the server. eg: ns1.sedoparking.com is the sedo server running on an ip address, we direct our domains to that server. now it is the same ip address (or a few that the server has)for all our parked domains!
just check that domains parked in a particular site will have same or similar ip, but different ip for different parking!!
So domains and ip do not reciprocate one another ,rather servers do!:confused:
im getting confused about what you mean to say actually.
well ;).Good that we have some masters here!! thanks!

i suppose what he meant is that you can have a number of domains running on the same ip address., so ip address shortage does not mean domains are going to be affected!

Okay, better late than never, I now get the point that's being made. :D

But what if someone wants their own dedicated IP address for their new domain?

But what if someone wants their own dedicated IP address for their new domain?[/quote said:
If somebody wants a dedicated IP address then the person will have to speark to their ISP provider (for dedicated home IP), Hosting company (if you want a dedicated hosting service or server) - This is purely hosting related.

When you buy a new domain by default you get an ip address, i think this depends on the registrar who you are buying a domain from - I may be wrong here, sorry.

When you buy a new domain by default you get an ip address, i think this depends on the registrar who you are buying a domain from - I may be wrong here, sorry.

When you buy a domain, you are not allocated an IP address..its only when you host it, that an IP address is assigned to your domain so that whoever is looking up your domain can know where the information is located..

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom