Why asking for equity may not be a good option

IT.com

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
From the sales perspective, selling a domain name for an equity stake requires the involvement of a good contract attorney that knows how to contractually protect the seller. I wouldn’t want to own an equity stake in an entity that turns out to be a worthless shell. I also don’t want my equity stake to be diluted nor do I want to be required to invest cash into the company, especially if the cash investment is substantial. Finally, I want to make sure I am protected if the startup fails or if the startup faces legal troubles. These are just a few items that need to be considered and negotiated in a deal that involves receiving equity.

From a buyer’s perspective, it can be difficult to deal with a domain investor who isn’t all that knowledgeable about startups and their needs. No startup founder is going to give up a ridiculous amount of equity to buy the domain name, so a domain owner who asks for a large percentage (but will play no role in the startup) is being difficult.

Source

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom