What Is Quora Worth?

IT.com

Swisslist

I have an Alexa traffic rank extension in Firefox, and when I accessed Quora yesterday, it indicated that it was #127 in the world and #69 in the U.S. in ranking. How much would you say that site is worth?

By comparison, this site ranks 73,499 in the world and 22,800 in the U.S.

I wouldn't even know how to make an educated estimate, but if I had to take a wild guess, I guess I would say Quora is worth maybe a billion dollars?

Completely useless now. Their search algorithm is horrible, and they have no sorting ability and so have to take their irrelevant suggested profiles and keep clicking through the pages. They invested a lot of time and effort into useless rebranding from odesk, yet created massive engineering holes and made the whole website's UX and UI a lot worse. Contractors are unhappy as well and leaving in droves, my job posts that used to get 30 applications 2 years ago, would get 3 or 4 now (primarily thanks to a now-horrible search facility but also because so many contractors abandoned them apparently).

It is unfortunate that they killed eLance in the process.

EDIT: They have improved things vastly over the past few months. The search algorithm makes the occaisional irrelevant suggestion, but nowhere near as before. Number of contractor applications have grown back close to the levels before the merge. However their rising charges are making it a problem for a lot of contractors who don’t want to lose 5-15% of their pay apparently, and some even dare to ask to be paid off the platform. We naturally turn that down, but we understand where they come from.

Still have a way to go to fix the sorting function, the platform still wants to take the lead in suggesting who is the best fit for the job and you can only filter contractors out. You can’t put them in an order of preference based on your own priorities.

3/5 till we see further improvement.

Hi Birla, I'm a bit lost here. Who killed eLance, Quora or Alexa? To some extent, I still prefer the old platform oDesk. A lot seems to have changed over a realy short time.

Am I the only one here who doesn't seem to know what Quora has to do with Odesk or Elance or did the thread take a whole new direction while I wasn't looking?

As far as I know, Quora started as a question-and-answer site. I'm also trying to look for a search criteria that Quora uses but that isn't yielding much. It actually uses a feature called Stats that gives statistics regarding the number of views.

Last edited:
Ignore the Alexa ranking, VCs who fund their site don't look at Alexa stats. Quora is worth few millions but no specific guesstimate. The reason being a lot of information on quora is fabricated and sponsored. So not many genuine people are on Quora compared to few years back. They have started monetization from last year, so surely they are in millions.

Thank goodness, Geordy, I thought it was just me! Quora is a question and answer site, like yahoo answers but with more intelligence. Quora has questions and answers about freelancing sites, but I thought that's as far as the link goes. Birla, there must be more to the story. I hope you come back and share.

marsh, Elance and oDesk merged to become Upwork about four years ago. Not much has changed really.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom