What are premium domains?

IT.com

msdomains

What are premium domains? How does something become "premium"?

I can assume something like games, auction, shopping or sex could become premium domain due to 1. they being a dictionary word or 2. high demand. However, there could be other 2 word domain names that could be premium, or LLL or LLLL, or NNN etc which are premium.

On the contrary, something like colors, names of fruits (apart from apple!) or other dictionary words like verbs/ adjectives might not be premium at all.

So what gets classified as premium and what does not?

Cheers.

Excellent question!
I think that relative rarity, ubiquity and practical usage (category killers) rank high.

in a simple sense, any name that sends chills up your spine when you think of owning it is likely a premium.

My understanding of premium is as follows:

1. extensively high demand (not necessary one word, it could be a two word domain)
2. one word dictionary domains
3. 3 letter domains

I do not think that 4 letters could qualify as premium unless there is some meaning or high demand and same goes for 3 letters too.

I mean who cares about cky or zqm. But certainly luv, zip are better 3 letter domains.

Let us know what other people on forum thinks.

Domain7

There is no standard for what a premium domain is, but this is one of the most abused terms in the industry. Everyone thinks that there domains are premium.

I like what DomainLobe says: "any name that sends chills up your spine when you think of owning."

I think any one work highly commercial term would fit the bill.

Thanks Domains7, DomainLobe and Jeff for your response. I am going to search for spine-chilling domains.

Cheers.

My understanding of premium is as follows:

1. extensively high demand (not necessary one word, it could be a two word domain)
2. one word dictionary domains
3. 3 letter domains

I do not think that 4 letters could qualify as premium unless there is some meaning or high demand and same goes for 3 letters too.

I mean who cares about cky or zqm. But certainly luv, zip are better 3 letter domains.

Let us know what other people on forum thinks.

Domain7

You're right..all the points make sense..

premium for .in IMO would be:

-great one worders that people can easily envision what the site would have on it
-good LLL.in combinations(even in the land of .com, bad combinations won't save the day)
-solid geos: with low supply and consistent demand, you can't lose on these(i remember when wot was selling names like gujarat.co.in on NP a few years ago)
-natural ttype-in raffic names: traffic shows demand, and if demand is strong, you very likely have a solid/premium name on your hands.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom