Virginia Supreme Court declares anti-spam law unconstitutional

IT.com

Ceres

I just read an interesting story about the Virginia Supreme Court overturning a 9-year conviction of a spammer.

The Virginia Supreme Court declared an anti-spam law unconstitutional, which led to one of the country's most notorious spammers to be released from prison.

Jeremy Jaynes, who became the first person convicted of a felony for sending spam in 2004, sent thousands of e-mails to America Online users over a 24-hour period on at least three different occasions.

You can read the rest of the article at:

http://www.dailytech.com/Virginia+Supreme+Court+Overturns+Spammers+Conviction/article12945c.htm

Interesting article. But I personally believe it is unfair. All users should at least have an option to receive spam or not. In this busy life of today, spam and the likes of mails simply serve to waste time.

InfoWorld talks a bit more about the Jeremy Jaynes case, and highlights and how domain registrars are turning a blind eye toward illegal operations:

We're not talking about domain registrars (or ISPs, for that matter) being duped a few times by a few unscrupulous players. We are talking about outright, massive, intentional ignorance of those who request and carry far more bad sites than would be considered normal. For example, the registrar gets notices from anti-malware researchers to take down thousands of malicious sites from one (or a common group) or requesting individuals. You would think that registrar would not do business with the domain requester anymore. You would (often) be wrong. In the quest to increase their bottom line, many registrars willingly look the other way and claim there is no way they could censor every Web site hosted or domain name given. I'm not buying it. They could at least try. Instead, anti-malware researchers are left with a massive game of whack-a-mole, without any help from the very companies that are in the position to really do something about our Internet malware problem.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/securityadviser/archives/2008/09/helping_spammer.html

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom