Value of One-Word Domains

IT.com

Ceres

Just because a domain is one word, it doesn't automatically mean it's a premium or valuable domain. For example, if a word is in the past tense it can sometimes sound kind of awkward.

So what's the best way to determine if a one-word domain has any value? Please share your views.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question Ceres... one which I keep asking myself when I see some of these in the expiring list. My view point is, if I cannot develop a full website or minisite on it, I cannot much value in regging it...example: "poison", "awkward", "twisted". However there are smart people who can probably get something out of such domain names.

Just a slightly different take on this - words like "weed", "drugs" though perfectly sound English words and can be used for trading seaweed or medicines respectively, might have negative connotations that I am loathe to own/ develop. I would rather take a conservative approach and choose "seaweed" or "pharmacy" :)

My 2 cents.

Look at how many Google ads there are for the term. If people are spending money on advertising, then there's probably money in the industry to pay for a premium domain.

Also, if you don't know what the word means without a dictionary, it's probably not a good domain :D

one word domains are good if they are wacky enough to be a brandable name..in India also, words like zapak, bigadda etc have done well cos of this..

jeff is very right about if you dont know it then it probally not a good domain i love one word dictionary words i see a future for them

Hi All,

What do you think of
Licked.in

I am setting up a wacky site on it.
Hand-regged recently.
:cool:

Hi All,

What do you think of
Licked.in

I am setting up a wacky site on it.
Hand-regged recently.
:cool:

Hello itssri, as there's not much content on the website right now, it unclear to me what your angle is for this website?

THe weaker/newer the extension, the more important it is to stick to LLLs and one-worders.

I'm a big fan of one-worders,BUT, the winning one-worders are those that can easily be used and developed by business entities. With the dilution of the domain industry by new, nonsense TLDs, its even more important to stick to one-worders.

Hello itssri, as there's not much content on the website right now, it unclear to me what your angle is for this website?

Licked.in is going to be a witty compendium of exactly what the name "Licked in" means as a phrase. The articles would be both fictional and non-fictional (inspired from current events).

Things like people getting embarrassed, people getting into defeated situations etc represented in a :p, :rolleyes:, witty, comic, wacky manner.

Licked.in is going to be a witty compendium of exactly what the name "Licked in" means as a phrase. The articles would be both fictional and non-fictional (inspired from current events).

Things like people getting embarrassed, people getting into defeated situations etc represented in a :p, :rolleyes:, witty, comic, wacky manner.

Sounds like an interesting angle, itssri. Do you have plans on how to monetise such a site?

I'm not sure everyone will automatically grasp what "Licked.in" is about. Thefore, I think you'd need to market your idea/brand a bit.

Best of luck!

Sounds like an interesting angle, itssri. Do you have plans on how to monetise such a site?

I'm not sure everyone will automatically grasp what "Licked.in" is about. Thefore, I think you'd need to market your idea/brand a bit.

Best of luck!

Yes, you are right - in a country where a minister gets Licked.in for a harmless tweet about the cattle-class and holy-cows ;) it would take a bit of effort to get the name across, but I m sure it's catchy and memorable and hope that Rick would notice it one day :D and hopefully we would be able to increase the premium on humor in this country. I also hope to attract quite a bit of US and UK traffic.

A brilliant author has agreed to spare his weekends for this site and I am looking for a graphic artist. We hope to be able to buy our weekend drinks with private sponsors.

A brilliant author has agreed to spare his weekends for this site and I am looking for a graphic artist. We hope to be able to buy our weekend drinks with private sponsors.

Well it sounds like you're getting everything under control! That's great. Let us know when the website officially launches...

Well it sounds like you're getting everything under control! That's great. Let us know when the website officially launches...

Hi,

Licked.in is now up officially. Needs some more graphics though. We also came up with the idea of paid contributions. Please see detail at the site.

Thanks,
Sri.

Hi,

Licked.in is now up officially. Needs some more graphics though. We also came up with the idea of paid contributions. Please see detail at the site.

Thanks,
Sri.

;) Sri, no amount of money will make me part with my stories about the comical situations I've landed myself in. Seriously though, I like the theme of your site, and I'll keep an eye out for some humourous stories. I enjoy having a good laugh, and hope your site does well.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom