Use of Wikipedia in Indian courts

IT.com

Ceres

Legal Blog Watch:

Intrigued by an article in The New York Times about the increasing citation of Wikipedia by judges in the United States, Raghav Sharma wondered whether judges in India were also increasing their use of this collaboratively edited encyclopedia. Sharma, a student at the National Law University in Jodhpur, looked into it and found that Indian courts are not only using Wikipedia, but do so "copiously."

Sharma's research revealed that conflicting statements have been made by the Indian courts as to the actual reliability of Wikipedia. Some Indian courts accepted Wikipedia as evidence, others disclaimed its reliability.

Not all US courts are favouring Wikipedia. Recently, a US court ruled that Wikipedia entries are inherently unreliable because they can be written and edited anonymously by anyone.

On occasion, I refer to Wikipedia, however due to the uncertainty as to its accuracy, I wouldn't cite Wikipedia as evidence in a court case as I wouldn't want to risk such evidence being thrown out in court! :eek:

How reliable do you think Wikipedia is?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom