Use of English Language in India

IT.com

Ceres

We've had past threads that discussed the use of English and regional languages in India (see threads here and here).

I came across an article that basically lays out both sides of the argument regarding whether or not English should continue to be used in India.

Arguments against the use of English in India:

First, English is the language of the white people. It was brought into India by the British rulers. Now, we are free. Our freedom is meaningless if we do not have our own language which can be called as a national language. It's a shame that even after independence we do not have our own language they say.

Secondly, English is a difficult language to learn. As we know very well that the literacy percentage in India is very low. In this circumstance, learning of English becomes more difficult. So we should not impose it.

Thirdly, a language is a medium to express oneself and be understood. When we have already a rich language, like Hindi, then why is English imposed on us.

Fourthly, a free country must have its own national language; without it no country in the world can ever progress. Japan is the best example before us.

Arguments in favour of English being used in India:

First, India is a developing country. It is necessary to change economic and political life of the people. For this purpose, knowing English is very important.

Secondly, our foreign policy is based on peaceful co-existence. Some good medium is necessary for the exchange of ideas. Hence English is necessary as it is widely used in the world.

Thirdly, the English literature is full of scientific and technical developments. We should take its help.

Fourthly, English language is an international language.

I think it makes a lot of sense to promote India's regional languages. Both online and offline, most people will be more comfortable reading, writing and speaking in their own native language.

However, as I've stated before, I think learning English as a second language is equally important. English can be the second language that connects people from all parts of India (I think there are about 22 national languages recognized in India). Also, India needs the ability to connect with other countries around the world, where the English language is commonly used.

What do you think?

I agree with both sides of the argument.

I think it is important to speak the national language to hold on to the heritage of India but it is also very smart to have English as the International language for business.

I think having both is far better for India than just one or the other.

In my experience all of my Indian freinds are very inteligent people and being able to speak several languages is not uncommon.

Why should they limit themselves to just one.

Regards

Ed Keay-Smith
OzDomainer

There was a very provocative article within the week by the super-provocative writer Spenser who writes for Asia Times revealing that writer's identity, among other things. He also went on to say that he believes in the near future several major languages will die from disuse. He listed Japanese, German, Italian and Russian. All these languages are spoken by populations with very low birth rates.

Now that's provocative!

I'm too lazy to put in links. To find the article, search 'Spenser Asia Times' Everything the guy writes is thought provoking, even if you don't believe him.

Trouble with the English language for India:

WSJ: Delta Air Ends Use of India Call Centers

Delta Air Lines Inc. said Friday it has stopped using India-based call centers to handle sales and reservations, making it the latest U.S. company to decide the cost benefits of directing calls offshore are outweighed by the backlash from customers.

Delta said it stopped routing calls to India-based call centers over the first three months of the year. Customers had complained they had trouble communicating with Indian agents, the airline said. Last month, Chrysler LLC said it would move its customer-service center back from India. [snip]

Delta said it stopped routing calls to India-based call centers over the first three months of the year. Customers had complained they had trouble communicating with Indian agents, the airline said. Last month, Chrysler LLC said it would move its customer-service center back from India. [snip]

Interesting, thanks NewYorkDude.

I know Bell Canada outsources to India. Although some of these agents have heavy accents, I've never had a problem understanding them. On the other hand, these agents might have problems understanding me and my accent. ;)

Here again an INteresting but very old topic..

We have already accepted English as an official Indian language years back, however we all know that we do have a desi version of this language which is diminishing with time but still found wide-spread.

We even have coined some titles like 'Indlish' or 'Hinglish' etc,.for this version.

I would say that it is really common and was bound to happen that we inherit this originally foreign, language after the 200 years long British rule in India.
Due to some scientific reasons, in some typical situations people tend to speak a different language Such as,..

while conveying something that is believed to be important/conclusive like during a public speech or something that is associated with emotions.

It is also believed that people tend to switch their behaviour/personalities to while speaking a different language

And this is not only the case with Indians speaking English but the English people themselves have inherited many words from their neighbours - the French.

In India we have several regional languages, but the use of English is quiet very Normal among the people.

Also as I have seen the educated people in India they speak much better english than many of the people from European countries like Germany, Belgium, Spain Italy, Ireland etc.....

What a nice topic should have a debate on. In my side I like to use both languages since having two or more languages to spoken is a plus points when you are searching for work especially if it is English.

Yes there was an old post about this.

The reason is that in India there are so many different groups such as in North they speak Hindi in Mumbai Mahastra, in Tamil Nadu tamil etc. So how can you run a country like this? Well you have to have one official language for business which is ENGLISH otherwise you would have a mess of 5 official languages.
So this won't change anytime soon. If it was Hindi the rest would be angry so they have to accept English.

i wonder how many ppl do jobs in call centers just bcoz of English, how many software engineers settle in us ,doctors in uk ??

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom