UDRP: Indian company loses TripMaker.com

Ceres

I came across an interesting UDRP case that involves the domain TripMaker.com, which was registered by an India-based company in 2008.

On 20 February 2009, the Indian company received a cease and desist letter from the well-known company Rand McNally, which owns a US trademark for TRIPMAKER (priority date 20 October 1995). BTW, I can't see that Rand McNally own 'TripMaker' in any cctld, do you? It seems to use the domain randmcnally.com.

The trademark owner was unable to settle the dispute, and therefore commenced a UDRP case a few weeks later.

The respondent argued that it owned a legitimate business called "Trip Maker Tours & Travel." However, most of the respondent's supporting documents were either undated or showed dates that were after April 1, 2009 (ie after date of cease and desist letter). The panel stated that the one piece of evidence that did have a 2007 date:

does not reflect any trading with third parties as implied in "a bona fide offering of goods or services" under the Policy.
Therefore, the panel was of the view that the respondent had no legitimate interests in the domain name.

The respondent argued that it started a live website during the first week of March 2009. However, the panel pointed out that this was after the respondent had received the cease and desist letter dated 20 February 2009. Prior to that date, TripMaker.com was a parked domain.

The respondent was ordered to transfer the domain to the trademark owner.

The fact that the respondent changed tactics as soon as it received the cease and desist letter likely did not help its case?

I confess I hadn't heard of TripMaker before. However, when I checked "tripmaker" and related keywords on the Google Keyword Tool, it indicates that most people are looking for the Rand McNally and its TripMaker software.

msdomains

Ceres,

As always thanks for bringing this news to our attention.

I am interested to find out:
1. How can the "US trademark for TRIPMAKER" affect somebody outside US using that domain?

2. Are domains like TRIP-MAKER.com? or TRIPMAKER.IN also violation of the trademark?

3. How is a domainer to know all the businesses and trademarks before regging a domain? Example: Microsoft.com is obviously pretty established so if I were to reg microsoft.in, it probably very easy to determine that it is a violation. However what if an IT company in South Africa has a trademark in South Africa about for an software called "TRIPMAKER"? Should I not reg that?

Cheers.

Ceres

1. How can the "US trademark for TRIPMAKER" affect somebody outside US using that domain?

If the trademark is only used and marketed within the US, then there should be no problem your using the same term in another country. For example, a trademark for TRIPMAKER can be registered by different owners in various countries worldwide.

However (and it's a very important however!), if the US trademark for TRIPMAKER is used or has a presence in another country - let's say India - then the US trademark owner can acquire certain common law trademarks rights in India (even if they don't have an official trademark registered at the Indian Trademarks Office). This thread on infringment issues might be of interest.

2. Are domains like TRIP-MAKER.com? or TRIPMAKER.IN also violation of the trademark?

One of the tests is whether the domain is identical or confusingly similar to the trademark. It is well-established that the addition of a suffix such as ".in" or ".com" is not relevant when comparing the domain to the mark. In other words, TripMaker.in will be viewed as TripMaker, and TripMaker.com will be viewed as TripMaker.

I'm not sure about hyphens. However, I doubt that a hyphen will have much bearing on the meaning of a domain name. Therefore, the hyphen will likely be irrelevant when comparing Trip-Maker with the trademark TripMaker.

3. How is a domainer to know all the businesses and trademarks before regging a domain? Example: Microsoft.com is obviously pretty established so if I were to reg microsoft.in, it probably very easy to determine that it is a violation. However what if an IT company in South Africa has a trademark in South Africa about for an software called "TRIPMAKER"? Should I not reg that?

See answer to (1) above. Also, before registering a domain, domainers should routinely check the relevant trademark registry, local search engines, local yellow pages, local business listings etc.

The above is just my own opinion (I'm not a lawyer). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ceres Hertz Wins UDRP against Indian company Legal Issues and Dispute 1
Ceres RIM Wins UDRP Dispute against Indian Firm Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Pet Mart of Vietnam defeats PetSmart in UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Post the UDRP loss for Pocketbook.com, Pocketbook e-reader company goes to US Court Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Mrs. Jello wins Spase.com UDRP filed in bad faith by Spase.io owner Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan OSRAM GmbH should not have lost a UDRP involving OSAM.cloud Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Andrew Allemann suggests to hire an attorney for UDRP filings Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Websites for tracking UDRP Cases and Decisions Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Voxan.com is in the UDRP waters now Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan GoDaddy landing page can land in UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, a UDRP provider, just won a UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Verisign suggests a quicker, dirtier version of the UDRP for .com domains Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan 1919.com gets embroiled in UDRP Decision Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan IMPORTANT READ: Ehren Schaiberger successfully defends holding up SmartTiles.com UDRP as an investment Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan NICE READ : UDRP decision today that is worth noting Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Picture.com gets embroiled in UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan How could Catalyzer, Inc have avoided losing UDRP for Catalyzer.com Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan VirtualPoint hits back with a lawsuit getting embroiled in an UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Complainant submitted falsified documents in cheapstuff.com UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan A finding of RDNH was made on CheapStuff.com UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN rejects Emily Rose's attempt to overturn an UDRP decision using the Reconsideration process. Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan IEE.com becomes subject of UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan This UDRP decision has made me dumbfounded Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan UDRP was filed against the CheapStuff.com Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan For the uninitiated : Learn about UDRP from ICA resources Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Three Best Rated wins UDRP against ThreeBestRated.com.au Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan UMass Memorial HealthAlliance loses a UDRP for urgentCareLeominster.com at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: Startups should file a UDRP only if they are very sure about it Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Doxing goes beyond the free speech line in UDRP case Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Airy.com is in the UDRP radar Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan NAF receives a UDRP against Dagostino.com filed by D’Agostino Supermarkets Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan UDRP: Joking . asked to be returned back to the owner Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Dubai Aerospace Enterprise couldn't win DAE.com UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan MYS.com is now in the UDRP purview at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Notable excerpt from UDRP: Investing is a “bona fide offering of goods or services” Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Gen.com is now in the grip of UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan A joke on a joke : Joking.com faces UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Great Read!!! : Will Cybersquatting and RDNH complainants choose ACPA over UDRP ? Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan UDRP filed against PRU.com by Prudential Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Adding these 2 questions in UDRP complaint can help avoid a avoid a lot of RDNH findings Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan GoogleCoronavirus.com comes under the radar of UDRP Filing Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan LAZ.org Subject of UDRP Filing Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Rob Monster loses UDRP for BC30.com, files a lawsuit Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan UDRP filed against SecaucusNJ.org by Secaucus Town Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Post auction, xtream.com owner doesn’t respond to UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Reflex Marketing loses UDRP, files a lawsuit Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver: Panelist got it right with InvestEase.com UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan AVK.com under fire, thanks to UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Domain Capital wins UDRP Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan UDRP filed against UAX.com Legal Issues and Dispute 0