Tuesday Random Musings on .IN domains

IT.com

CyberKing

Domain Investor
Country flag
Hello All - Although I am fairly new to ".IN" domain investing (a year old puppy) ...I observed the following, what are your thoughts?

a) .IN is about Eight Years young give or take - where as Dot Com the King is 20 Years old (commercial use) - we have two decades to go to bridge the maturity void (will explain later)
b) If one takes the view that .IN is a part of "internet real estate" while "location matters" the supply demand squeeze is still far from on (try finding a LLL.COM - versus LLL.IN are selling on that far right auction site on your screen for $38 or less)
c) Unless a lot of .IN websites are developed and promoted the extension visibility is limited and we are left with being less desired then even other ccLTDs
d) Broadband penetration will get a major boost when "Reliance Jio 4G" for the masses is launched and with sponsored Free WiFi Hotspots (launched last week in Blore)
e) Quality Governance is key - .IN administration (including marketing), enforcement of policies and registrant support infrastructure currently are well below par in my view/experience
f) Most premium reported sales and some private sales are for those "extending their dot com brand" and/or protecting their trademarks (printo.in, printland.in are exceptions)
g) Wonder what percent of the registered names are held by those who have no intent to develop the names into working sites ( would love this statistic)
h) Maturity Void - The gap between dot com and .IN penetration and use, this could be bridged in a hurry given the installed base and internet penetration promise.
i) Who among you has been investing in .IN's since 2005-2006 - what are your perspectives given the long wait?
j) What can we do to contribute to .IN ? (conferences, vigilance, collective representation to NIXI, participate in policy, others?)

Creating Wealth. Driven By Values.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 basic problems faced by domain investors in .in
1. Secrecy - basic information is denied to certain domain investors, despite making many requests.
2. No protection of a domain investors rights. - there are too many powerful people who think it is their birthright to harass and persecute an early investor in domain names, to force him or her to sell the business for a pittance. These powerful people have unlimited tax payer money at their disposal, and the early domain investors find it difficult to lead a normal life.

dnk - can you kindly elaborate or PM me please...I would like to understand your concerns and the context a little better..

LLL.in King - Sorry you feel that way ,,,wonder why...I was sharing my perspective feel free to post yours..

I liked your post, only correction would add is that Dot Com is really 20 years old (since 95), thats when the early investors got in.

We need conferences focussed on .in, that would be a great move.

I think .in and .co.in domains are useless unless developed, built into a business with proof of concept or traction. The growth story is on mobile, tablets and apps. We've missed the domain bus just like the current generation has lost the pc and laptops story.

Thanks Domainerin...

Been pondering these points myself ever since I came across technical articles about a "domainless web" in the works a few years ago and IP evolution. This even came up today with some other pros in a offline discussion..

Just for context ...data (facts) such SEDO INDX and DNJ weekly sales figures seem to be contrary indicators...people/investors pursuing the greater fools theory perhaps?

Internet Domain Name Index (IDNX)

http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm

Thanks Domainerin...

Been pondering these points myself ever since I came across technical articles about a "domainless web" in the works a few years ago and IP evolution. This even came up today with some other pros in a offline discussion..

Just for context ...data (facts) such SEDO INDX and DNJ weekly sales figures seem to be contrary indicators...people/investors pursuing the greater fools theory perhaps?

Internet Domain Name Index (IDNX)

Ten New Domains Take Places on Our First Year to Date Top Domain Sales Chart Including a New #1

@toexchange, Be great to have the opportunity to comment/Random Musings on your .IN domains to dispel the perceived contrary indicators ?

Ref your message;
c) Unless a lot of .IN websites are developed and promoted the extension visibility is limited and we are left with being less desired then even other ccLTDs: I was interested to know your last registration/s and if you intend to develop out.
(Post Ref: Are All Members (Especially Senior Ones) Willing To List The Last Domain Registerd ?? ) Think it helps others to see the direction of experienced domain developers.

f) Most premium reported sales and some private sales are for those "extending their dot com brand" and/or protecting their trademarks (printo.in, printland.in are exceptions) IMO covering the com without the cc (in) is an error. The sale of Chan.com & Chan.cn is the mass market pathway "Khel" is not any different although wasted as a redirect. Many registered com's have entirely different meanings in English, however the romanised Hindi term is often cognitive to 800m speakers = dot (in) cc opportunities.

i) Who among you has been investing in .IN's since 2005-2006 - what are your perspectives given the long wait? a) .IN is about Eight Years young give or take - where as Dot Com the King is 20 Years old (commercial use) - we have two decades to go to bridge the maturity void (will explain later): Half a bucket of germs is a full bucket germs the wait is accelerated by a factor of ? Thankfully institutional inertia means opportunity.

b) If one takes the view that .IN is a part of "internet real estate" while "location matters" the supply demand squeeze is still far from on (try finding a LLL.COM - versus LLL.IN are selling on that far right auction site on your screen for $38 or less): "Great" please do please contact me, Hindi cognitive words / terms. All nations are dependent on GNP = Home Consumers.

Still hand registering hundreds of quality .IN names (two word, keyword, exact match), the supply is still plenty on .IN, now developing these into websites is a monumental task.

Wish we could help disprove your statement and still maintain our privacy, we could always disagree on what "quality" is however we have secured some and continue to do so...unlike earlier today when our hand registration attempts were too slow to secure DomainNews.in on drop, someone beat us to it and put it up for sale even before we could say ah!

Could be just explained by sheer numbers - as to why hand registering valuable names is still feasible - because approx 1.8 Million .INs are registered versus over 110+ million dot COMS?

Could be just explained by sheer numbers - as to why hand registering valuable names is still feasible - because approx 1.8 Million .INs are registered versus over 110+ million dot COMS?

You've got to be a lot more selective in registering .in domains than .com domains.

@Jeff "...lot more selective..." is relative I guess and still leaves a gaping abyss of a few 100 million names LOL :)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom