Transferring Sites

Kimla

It seems that some sites have a lower hosting fee for the first year, going up at the beginning of your 2nd year. Some people say that they don't like to transfer sites and stick with the higher fee instead of going somewhere cheaper. Would you stick with a higher fee or transfer to a hosting site with a smaller fee?

marsh

Well, I don't like transferring sites or rather, I dislike that process of looking for another web host. All the same, if I found out this information after settling for a host, I'd look for a cheaper option. This would also depend on the margin of increase.

JackD

Country flag
As long as you have a good backup of your website, transferring to another host should not be an issue. If it is a website builder type site then the effort to move should not be taken lightly. The savings would have to be huge for me to undertake a total website rebuild.

ritchie

I agree with you @JackD that switching hosts shouldn't be a big issue. Though I've never done it myself, I've heard it said that when purchasing a new web host, it is important to register your domain to a third party provider. This will help avert complications and make the process of switching hosts (in the future) easier, if and when the need arises. Your thoughts?

JackD

Country flag
I've heard it said that when purchasing a new web host, it is important to register your domain to a third party provider. This will help avert complications and make the process of switching hosts (in the future) easier
Yes, I agree. A third party provider of the domain registration does not care where you host your site. Problems will arise if the host and domain are tied together in special deals. Some hosting providers offer free domain registration if you host with them. In cases like this, you may lose your domain name if you try to move your website to a new host. I never tie a domain registration to a hosting provider. Keeping them separate may cost a little more but it is well worth it.

marsh

I think the cut-throat competition is forcing companies and businesses to improvise creative ways of tying customers to their products. I would never go for the idea of free domain registration if it was hinged on such conditions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Geordy Transferring domain Development Options 1
msdomains Transferring domain and website General Indian Domain Name Discussion 7
Jeff Transferring Website from One CPanel Host to Another Webmaster Forum 0
Ceres Hacker Dupes GoDaddy into Transferring Stolen Domain Legal Issues and Dispute 1
P Transferring my domain to my hosting site Development Options 5
Prashant Sharan Chinese Domains: China has 21 of the top 50 global sites when it comes to Alexa Rank Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Fox News files a lawsuit to do away with Fake News sites Legal Issues and Dispute 0
esel Why there are many sites closed? The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Magento eCommerce sites face problems due to fake Google domains Non-Indian Domains 0
fpforum Quality Backlinks from High Authority Sites - Starting at $1.25/Link! For Sale / Advertising 0
Swisslist Vaping Sites Development Options 2
JulienJ Looking back on past domain sales that are now active sites Non-Indian Domains 0
dibon Irresponsive mobile sites The Lounge 5
Saki Older Hosting Sites Hosting 10
K Switching themes between sites Development Options 1
ritchie Social networking sites Legal Issues and Dispute 1
Geordy Selling Branded Sites The Lounge 1
Connected Appraising Avatar Sites Business and Economy 3
Mallard Best sites for video? Development Options 8
Mallard Selling domains & sites? Webmaster Forum 5
Connected Evergreen Sites Business and Economy 4
Connected Music Sites Webmaster Forum 14
Mallard Google sites not taking custom domains? Webmaster Forum 1
K Monetizing sites Marketing Your Website 0
Swisslist 3D Sites Webmaster Forum 6
Connected Real Estate Sites The Lounge 6
H Social Bookmarking Sites Webmaster Forum 5
domainking131 Local Sites With Revenue Over $1M Annually Webmaster Forum 1
domainking131 Paypal Updates TOS: No Refunds For Gift Cards, Crowdfunding & Gaming Sites Like Fan Duel/Draft Kings The Lounge 0
R sites like INFORUM.in General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
domainking131 CSC’s November New gTLD Report: New gTLD Sites in Alexa Top 1M Up 25% In a Month New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Philip Morris takes down gripe sites in sloppy cybersquatting decision Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 A fight over domain names killed one of internet's biggest pirate sites Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 NameBio.com unveiled enhanced sites, passes $1B in historic domain sales Non-Indian Domains 1
B Auction sites General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
CyberKing Google blacklists 11,000 WordPress sites Webmaster Forum 1
K .भारत live sites Indian IDNs 2
domainking131 Google upgrades mobile-friendly sites in search result Non-Indian Domains 0
DomainVillas Rare 14 year Aged Property domain Property Sites.Net at Flippa External Auctions 3
I Domain parking sites can not easily make money For Sale 1
anquest "8 .NYC Sites Are Already In Alexa Top 1 Million" New GTLDs 0
domainking131 .Club leads all new gTLDs in top 1 million alexa ranking sites New GTLDs 0
domainking131 HTTPS sites will get better ranking on Google Non-Indian Domains 0
D 2 Wallpaper sites for sale Websites 0
domainking131 100 Free Guest Blogging sites Resources 0
A Classified Sites List Webmaster Forum 1
A Looking for Guest posts / hosted pages on Blogs/static sites on Indian TLD sites For Sale / Advertising 0
domainventure Ranking sites Webmaster Forum 6
T Legality issues of posting names for sale on Sedo and other auctions sites?? Legal Issues and Dispute 33
S Best Affiliate Marketing Sites Development Options 5