Transferring domain and website

IT.com

msdomains

Hi friends,

Appreciate some input on how to legally and completely transfer a domain and also the related website from a seller? I am sure there must be some critical steps and pitfalls one needs to be aware of.

Appreciate your help as this will be the first time.

Regards.

@Ceres,

Thanks for sharing that. It was good in explaining the process of transferring a domain. However, though not sure what risk lies out there, I am looking to understand the following:

- How to avoid falling into traps where somebody takes the money and doesn't complete the deal

- Intellectual Property (IP) issues associated with buying a website, namely, the domain name and the content of the website (who owns it, liabilities etc)

- Fake ownership transfer/ selling to multiple parties etc. (not sure if such a thing can happen, but would like to be forewarned.)

- Verifying creditials of seller - genuine? good track record? etc.

- Issues with respect to domain registrar/ host and transfers etc

- Any other risks

Thanks and regards.

- How to avoid falling into traps where somebody takes the money and doesn't complete the deal

Stick with reputable sellers and buyers. Use an escrow service. For small transactions, use Paypal if you trust the seller/buyer, or if you're willing to take the risk that the other party might file a false chargeback, or pay you via a hacked Paypal account.

- Intellectual Property (IP) issues associated with buying a website, namely, the domain name and the content of the website (who owns it, liabilities etc)

I think if you purchase website content that is breaching intellectual property laws, then there's a possibility that you can also become liable. For example, if the website you purchase published infringing material, and you continue to publish this material after the purchase, you'd be liable.

If you buy a domain name that infringes on another party's trademark, then you could lose that domain to them.

- Fake ownership transfer/ selling to multiple parties etc. (not sure if such a thing can happen, but would like to be forewarned.)

Yes, fake ownership most definitely happens! See: Lots of Stolen Domains and Domain Theft. The last article offers tips on how to protect yourself from domain fraud.

- Verifying creditials of seller - genuine? good track record? etc.

Do a background check on the buyer/seller. Check iTrader reputation. Do they have a certified account with Sedo? Stick with reputable buyers/sellers.

- Issues with respect to domain registrar/ host and transfers etc

Beware of domain phishing.

- Any other risks

Beware of domain appraisal scams.

msdomains, I've probably forgotten to add some things. However, I hope other INForum members can also provide you with some tips.

Best of luck, and happy domaining! :)

Ceres,

Thanks a lot for your detailed response and the various links. They are very useful info as I am a newbie to this field.

Regards.

Thanks Ceres. Your post was very helpful.

That Iranian hacker stole an amazing portfolio of domains.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom