Trai looks for ways to provide free internet

IT.com

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India still has some questions on free data services. After issuing a ruling on differential pricing of data services in February this year, the regulator floated another consultation paper on Thursday on "Free Data" .

This one focuses on schemes that can provide either free data or data reimbursement without dependence on the service provider. As opposed to a model like Free Basics, which provided a select few websites or a "walled garden" for free , this paper invites comments on the viability of a model that has the "benefits of offering free data while avoiding the ingenuity that the Differential Tariff Regulation is meant to prevent". In other words, free data, that can be used to access any part of the internet.

Source

Well, seems like that providing free data is not an Utopia after all. But you still need the infrastructure to access free data, and that certainly costs money. I if the download and upload capacity would be also unlimited with free data access.

Well, I guess that the debate on whether to provide free internet to the public is a question of whether or not if the government has improved its telecommunication mechanism in a certain country. In many developed countries where institutions have already maturity stage, they have very efficient delivery of public services, including internet service in public places. But in many developing countries, this is hardly the case since their budget has to be geared towards education, health and poverty alleviation which the utmost concerns. I believe that making free internet access available will still have to undergo difficult waters among emerging economies before it will be realized.

Well, seems like that providing free data is not an Utopia after all. But you still need the infrastructure to access free data, and that certainly costs money. I if the download and upload capacity would be also unlimited with free data access.

"Free" is always paid by someone, somehow. You can rest assured that at the very least the traffic is being monitored if the connection is provided free of charge, and requiring a national ID-based registration means that it's just one step away from a real Orwellian overwatch society. Not exactly something I'd like to live in myself...

If India seriously ends with free Internet ahead of everyone else, I can easily see people flocking there to be digital nomads. The rent is already so cheap in some areas that I think pretty much the average 18 year old with an education could support themselves decently.

If India seriously ends with free Internet ahead of everyone else, I can easily see people flocking there to be digital nomads. The rent is already so cheap in some areas that I think pretty much the average 18 year old with an education could support themselves decently.

Hardly. I am a "DN" (man, I hate that term more than the term "expat"...), and saving maybe $20 from my internet bill wouldn't be even nearly enough for me to move to India, and I can be pretty sure that I'm not alone with my opinion. People in general are fine paying more about higher quality of living, so they wouldn't run after "free" internet to suffer from the rest of the country.

I am a true blue DN. I am not talking about saving money for -you-, I am talking about that fact that everyone in India will have easier access to Internet, making it a prime market. This means that the ideal place for someone profiting from the boom in Internet traffic would need to be in India itself for local presence. The DN's would not be profiting off of the free Internet, lol.

I would like to know how India proposes to do this. It doesn't sound feasible. Maybe they're thinking about dealing with the companies that make the electronics that access the internet, to hep make the data free.

Move to another country simply because there is free internet? If you're raking in 50 thousand USD per year, then maybe I could see the point.

It paints quite the picture though, doesn't it?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
angemon
Top Bottom