The Value Of A Chat Forum

IT.com

Connected

Let's say you have a chat forum that stands alone. It's not just one facet of a multi-faceted site. Does the asking price of a site like that reflect how many active users there are? I have seen forum owners register tons of users just to get their registration count up, but does that actually work in raising the value of the forum? Or is it more to do with the amount of active users that are registered?

I've never given this much thought, but I would assume that the value would be dependent on the actual activity not just numbers. Doesn't analytics tell you all these things like how many people visited the forum daily and how long they stayed, and even which pages they interacted with most?

Yes, analytics show all that and more. Registered users are just one piece of the puzzle. I think that "padding the cell" like that is used more to show unregistered users that there are a lot of members. People tend to join sites when there are already a lot of people there.

I know what you mean. Social proof is a real help when it comes to building lists of subscribers or if you want to expand your audience. I know I'm also more comfortable hanging out in a forum where there are lots of people as opposed to a quiet one.

Let's say you have a chat forum that stands alone. It's not just one facet of a multi-faceted site. Does the asking price of a site like that reflect how many active users there are? I have seen forum owners register tons of users just to get their registration count up, but does that actually work in raising the value of the forum? Or is it more to do with the amount of active users that are registered?
In my opinion, a site that is legit and active, will have a higher asking price and as much as forum owners try to register many users, how much these users are active is what counts. There could be other factors that will dictate the worth of a website.

I guess you're right about that. It makes perfect sense that a site with lots of traffic will always be worth more than one with less, and it shouldn't make a difference if that traffic is coming from a forum or not.

Active users would mean more in my opinion. I mean, it's not like social media where your inactive followers can be broadcast to like an email list. On top of this fact, a lot of dummy users come about from profile spam. In other words, people are only signing up for a profile link. That's a major problem, at least on XenForo forums. Note, it happens even if you disable signatures.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom