The proof that .IN is a global TLD

IT.com

the_poet

Country flag
.IN can rank great for languages and countries other than English and India. Here's an excellent example.

From my location I see the following results:

- if you search for juegos de mario (Spanish for "Mario games") on Google, JuegosGratis.in is on 5th position out of 73,000,000+ results.

- if you search for juegos gratis (Spanish for "free games") on Google, JuegosGratis.in is on 15th position out of 52,000,000+ results.

Compete.com shows that JuegosGratis.in receives an average of 12,000+ UVs per month.

For the sake of completeness, here are a few sales related to the keywords:

Code:
       Domain          |  Price  |  Date  | Venue
-------------------------------------------------------------
JuegosTonic.com        | $95,000 | Mar 11 | Sedo
JuegosFlash.com        | $31,548 | Dec 08 | Sedo
JuegosFun.com          | $17,146 | Jun 09 | Sedo
MicroJuegos.com        | $15,065 | Apr 08 | Sedo
JuegosDeVestir.org     | $13,500 | Feb 11 | Sedo
MicroJuegos.com        | $12,595 | Dec 10 | Sedo
MaxiJuegos.com         | $11,887 | Mar 11 | Sedo
JuegosDeMario.com      | $11,000 | Mar 11 | Moniker/SnapNames
JuegosGratis.net       | $10,896 | Aug 08 | Sedo
Juegos.com.uy          | $10,000 | May 08 | Sedo
JuegosDeMarioBros.com  | $9,500 | Nov 09 | Sedo
JuegosJuegos.es        | $6,416 | Oct 07 | Sedo
Juegos.bo              | $6,200 | Jan 11 | Sedo

Glad to see that! Not long ago someone on the forum was complaining about the difficulty ranking .in domains outside of India, so this is welcome news indeed.

That may be so but we all know that the ONLY real TLD is the .com

Local TLDs, .in, .uk, or even .tv are useful but they are by definition NOT Global.

To be frank as far as a global user of the web is concerned, you may as well get .ludhiana!

I know that may not feel right for us but it is the truth.

CJ

To be frank as far as a global user of the web is concerned, you may as well get .ludhiana!

I disagree. Google gives different weight to different TLDs (talking about ccTLDs here) and I think that .IN, being a highly brandable TLD and a sleeping giant, is among the better ones in Google's eyes.

This ranking is NOT proof; There is only one global TLD and that is .COM.

The domain JuegosGratis.in ranks well on the Spanish term search you checked because well, the domain name is in Spanish. At my location, the domain you mention doesn't show on 1st page.

You can really compare the effect of different TLDs by putting same content on a .COM and any other TLD.

Nay sayers will always doubt .in, but it will be a succesful TLD in the long run, irrespective of what .com offers. Mind you that .IN is managed responsibly by Indian govt and this adds to the long term success chances of a TLD..IN is not .COM, but this should not be used to be pessimistic about .IN overall. many .ins are getting trafic! i get typo traffic from universities for 1 or 2 of my lll.ins, others get natural type in, and my overall traffic volume has gone up, no doubt,so they are just different games but both lucrative in their own ways..COM is more higher amount, .IN will be higher ROI.

This ranking is NOT proof; There is only one global TLD and that is .COM.

The domain JuegosGratis.in ranks well on the Spanish term search you checked because well, the domain name is in Spanish. At my location, the domain you mention doesn't show on 1st page.

You can really compare the effect of different TLDs by putting same content on a .COM and any other TLD.

No doubt .COM, .NET and .ORG are gTLD, but the ranking is the proof that Google treats .IN as a gTLD. JuegosGratis.in ranks well because not only is the term Spanish (it's obvious, even JuegosGratis.com doesn't appear on Google if you search for "games"), but because .IN can rank well internationally.

On a side note, if I search for "games" on Google.com, I can see Game.co.in on 6th position out of a whopping 3.3 billion results! Here's a screenshot of my search.

I've been buying .info lately i find they rank easier than .in's. Sure anything can rank well with enough energy.
.ca is that same situation: can not change the geotarget.
Now if we could get google to change this then things would be different.

I've been buying .info lately i find they rank easier than .in's. Sure anything can rank well with enough energy.
.ca is that same situation: can not change the geotarget.
Now if we could get google to change this then things would be different.

With .info you can change the geotargeting country, so it obviously ranks easier than .INs. I'm saying that for an extension for which you can't change the country, .IN ranks very well.

Ever noticed the only people who don't think .IN is global either don't have any or have such crap ones that the only way those keywords would rank would be if it were .com?

And if you can't change the geo-target of .in, could someone explain to me how outside.in exclusively services the US market?

I love fairy tales... heard the one where .co.in will beat .in? No? Must have just entered this market. :p

Ever noticed the only people who don't think .IN is global either don't have any or have such crap ones that the only way those keywords would rank would be if it were .com?

Only a tiny portion of naysayers rationally say what they actually think, most of them just show envy and even hatred in some cases. I can see this with .CO domains, because many people who burnt themselves by throwing their money into a ton of .coms with little or no value, fear the new extension will overshadow .com and so they feel the urge to mock or even insult .CO investors and their domains.

Outside.in is a domain hack not a keyword per se. AS mentioned before it's not impossible to rank a .in keyword well, it's just more difficult. Basically that's where the money is in the internet in the use of it as a international communications that way you can attract a massive world market of 6 billion internet users.
Let us not forget though the best use of a .in is for the domestic India market which is a huge market of over a billion people who have some money and can probably access the internet at least email.
So it should be easy to parlay a few million India internet user to your web site at least in the near future. But get ready for it: the top .in sites are not even keywords!
To make matters worse Indian companies that wish to do business outside of India can be advised to use anything other than a .in such as .info or .co etc to attract foreign markets rather than ranking low .in and stuck in local markets.

Sorry for replying so late, don't visit here very often.

Outside.in is a domain hack not a keyword per se. AS mentioned before it's not impossible to rank a .in keyword well, it's just more difficult.
Why is it more difficult? Because it's a ccTLD as against a gTLD?
I think you need to speak to some real webmasters...
Outside.in is top 100k alexa btw.

Basically that's where the money is in the internet in the use of it as a international communications that way you can attract a massive world market of 6 billion internet users.
Oh wow, thanks for telling me, wouldn't have known otherwise.

Let us not forget though the best use of a .in is for the domestic India market which is a huge market of over a billion people who have some money and can probably access the internet at least email.
These guys didn't get your memo:
site:*.in - Google Search

As for the potential Indian market, that's just the big fat juicy cherry on top of the thick icing on this cake.

So it should be easy to parlay a few million India internet user to your web site at least in the near future. But get ready for it: the top .in sites are not even keywords!
You mean the top .com sites are? Like Google, Bing, Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, Baidu... ad nauseam...

As for parlaying a few million visits from Indian users... anything is easy given the right finances.

To make matters worse Indian companies that wish to do business outside of India can be advised to use anything other than a .in such as .info or .co etc to attract foreign markets rather than ranking low .in and stuck in local markets.

:rolleyes:

Anyone doing such advising needs have their head examined. And if they're 'high power consultants' they should just be fired on the spot for giving their clients bad advice.

Exclusively.in Raises $2.8M From Helion, Accel | VCCircle

You obviously are severely misinformed or oblivious to the ground realities, would think some in depth reading might be in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Why is it more difficult? Because it's a ccTLD as against a gTLD?"

As we've said many times it is about Geo targeting. Just as .ca and .us .eu are about geo targeting.
.in will always be seen as being from India just as .ca is from Canada because google and other search engines see it that way. It is not that are against us it was actually decided by people in the begging to protect it from domain hoarders and insure local business development on the internet.

I can tell you in my case i have moved from keyword.in to keyword.info and immediately seen an increase in international traffic. I've gone into the google tools and set the target to europe and forward the old .in.
I guess this geotargetting problem can be overcome, but not so easily. Enough to make most people think twice. Also India is not a very good brand name, so again makes most people think a third time. Not to be negative i have a bunch of .in i hope they increase in value. Just keepin it real.

.in will always be seen as being from India

.ca can only mean canada, maybe california if you want to stretch it.
.eu can only mean europe
.jp can only mean japan
.co.uk can only mean UK
.de can only mean germany

But .in, like other prepositions - .me / .to / .be can mean whatever you want it to, geo targeting is really a non-issue if you know what you're doing.

I can tell you in my case i have moved from keyword.in to keyword.info and immediately seen an increase in international traffic. I've gone into the google tools and set the target to europe and forward the old .in.
Did you do the same for the .in before you moved to the .info?

And search results which you see in your browser are extremely tailored to you, why you need 3rd party tools to get a real picture on ranking.

Also India is not a very good brand name, so again makes most people think a third time. Not to be negative i have a bunch of .in i hope they increase in value. Just keepin it real.
Why is India not a 'very good brand name'? Coke fought for 15 years to be allowed back in. McDonalds offers local menus not found anywhere else in the world including a veggie burger. Some of the top CEOs in the world are Indian. Like I said, you're seriously misinformed.

Plus the whole point is only you connect .in only to India, most users see it as:
Internet
International
Inc.
Interactive
as also the preposition IN

Do keep it real, but your view on reality is slightly off centre methinks.

I agree with Samit. Not all ccTLDs are made equal, and .in, along with .me, .tv, .co and few others, can be easily branded. I'll push it a little further and say that, to the non-Indian average Joe who happens to see .in for the first time, .in is more likely to stand for Internet than India.

It's as simple as .co.in for India based companies .in for those, Indian or otherwise who would like an international presence.

The flexibility of .in gives it massive potential.

"But .in, like other prepositions - .me / .to / .be can mean whatever you want it to, geo targeting is really a non-issue if you know what you're doing."

Magic puja?

And if you can't change the geo-target of .in, could someone explain to me how outside.in exclusively services the US market?

I love fairy tales... heard the one where .co.in will beat .in? No? Must have just entered this market. :p

I don't think .in is global and I have some solid ones. I've probably spent more on a single .in aftermarket purchase than 99% of the members here, if not EVERY member here.

As far as outside.in, that's an anecdote. Anecdote is not evidence, no more than bit.ly 'proves anything. about the .ly tld. That one keyword (outside) represents the single most intuitive 'domain hack' in the .in tld and means absolutely nothing to other .in domains or the future trajectory of the .in space. Whenever people need to reference heavily isolated anecdotes to support a much larger position, that's usually a pretty good sign that they don't have the facts or logic on their side.

When you say "and if you can't change the geo target", I really thought you had a better understanding of search engines and marketing than that. You're a smart guy and I know you most certainly do understand the basics of search engines and offline marketing. You're grasping at straws there.

Suggesting that .in means "international" is the same tortured, insular domainer logic that holds .ws means "website", or that keeps people registering 3d domains. The only people who 'believe' that are domainers and even then, I'm not so sure they truly 'believe' it as much as they're trying to 'convince themselves' its true. Certainly no one else is buying it.

An Indian company with an international presence can certainly use their ccTLD to denote their country of origin, just as any other international company in any other country might do with their own ccTLD.... and yes, perhaps a dozen or so keywords have such synergy with the word "in" that a few hacks make sense to brand on. All that said, the case for international use of .in because it spells the word "in" is completely weak. It's not the same thing as .tv. Anyone who doesn't instantly recognize that is blind.

All the 'theories' that domainers present in support of .in being an international TLD are just that; their own personal (rationalizations) theories. If you ask them to provide working examples, they will cite a few VERY insignificant anecdotes, but they cannot point to anything in support of their 'theory' to suggest a credible movement is afoot.

I'd ask anyone here to make the case for .in as a repurposed international TLD. No shrieking or hysteria, no ''theories" that are already proven to be failures. Show credible evidence, as if you were an attorney in court. Show meaningful companies and applications outside of India using .in in an international capacity. Don't cite theories or your own personal 'hopes'. Make a factual case.

The reason no one can do this is because the facts just aren't there.

I'm hugely pro .in and pro India, but this particular theoretical tangent is just ridiculous. It would be like suggesting the .us TLD is international in scope because it spells the word "us". Theory? Fine. Reality? Absolutely not.

There are two types of domainers- be they active with .in, .com or .anything. There are those who listen to the pseudo-wisdom of other domainers and fail, or those who recognize (and listen to) the realistic needs of business and succeed.

Completely agree with Dman on this.
I do not understand why .in is recognized as "international".

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom