The Pricing of Internet Domain Names Looks Kind of Random

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
What does it mean that a web address ending in .pizza costs more than one ending in .beer? Or that .bar costs more than .academy? That .church is pricier than .company? Hard to say. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything at all.

Judging from a casual browse, the rental rates for top-level domains (.com, .net, .pizza, etc.) seem to be only tangentially related to the forces of supply and demand. They look more like a big pricing experiment in a sector of the economy that’s in flux.

“It’s not a true market,” says Joseph Cohen, the founder and president of a Brooklyn-based startup, Universe, that makes a phone app for building simple mobile phone websites. “There’s sort of a market, but it’s not very efficient or liquid.”

The most popular domain name, .com, is also the cheapest on Cohen’s site. It costs just $2.99 a month for a package including the domain name, web authoring tools, and hosting. He charges more for .sexy ($9.99 a month) and .farm ($6.99 a month).

You might think that a .com address would be more expensive since it’s more popular. The twist is that the name you want for your website probably isn’t available with a .com extension. So, sure, you can pay just $2.99 a month, but you’ll have to come up with a long, complicated tongue-twister that won’t look good in ads and on business cards.

As in the Cambrian explosion of 500 million years ago, when many of today’s life forms came into existence, the number of top-level domains exploded in 2012 after the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) authorized about 1,200 new ones. That's when .pizza and .beer, for example, became available. So even though angelospizza.com is taken, GoDaddy.com can rent you angelos.pizza. Short and to the point.

Likewise, “If you sell diamond jewelry and no .com is available for less than six figures, you might want to consider .diamonds or .jewelry,” says Chris Boggs, founder of Web Traffic Advisors in Wilton, N.Y.

According to the website nTLDStats.com, the most popular of the new top-level domain names is .xyz, with a 21 percent share, followed by .top, .loan, .win, .club, .vip, and .online. Most of the 1,200 have virtually no takers. By the time you get to #308, which is .poker, you're down to a 0.01 percent market share. That’s frustrating if you’re the investor who gambled on .poker.

Source

What do you have to say about this?

JackD

Country flag
I would say that is the .com is not available for less than six figures, I might want to look at other extensions. Times are changing and more people do accept the different extensions but for now, the majority of people still think .com and still automatically type .com so if you can get it and can afford it, go with the dot com. That holds true for most countries but in some countries the country TLD is more popular, like India's .co.in as well as .in and Great Britain's .co.uk In these examples I would not pay the price of the .com.

ritchie

I would say that is the .com is not available for less than six figures, I might want to look at other extensions. Times are changing and more people do accept the different extensions but for now, the majority of people still think .com and still automatically type .com so if you can get it and can afford it, go with the dot com. That holds true for most countries but in some countries the country TLD is more popular, like India's .co.in as well as .in and Great Britain's .co.uk In these examples I would not pay the price of the .com.
For a long time, I used to think .com but other extensions are beginning to make more sense now. It wouldn't make economic sense to go for a pricier domain when there are cheaper alternatives.

robert4u

For a long time, I used to think .com but other extensions are beginning to make more sense now. It wouldn't make economic sense to go for a pricier domain when there are cheaper alternatives.
May be times have change and people are accepting other tld but I believe .com is always preferable, anything that can beat .com is country tld.

ritchie

@robert4u, what would be the reason for .com's popularity over all the others? The fact that it has been there for sometime? To some extent, I'd probably think that it's a monopoly of some sort.

ritchie

@robert4u, what would be the reason for .com's popularity over all the others? The fact that it has been there for sometime? To some extent, I'd probably think that it's a monopoly of some sort.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ajf7688 160 .in domains for sale (Fixed Pricing + Discounts Available) For Sale 0
Prashant Sharan Developments in the .org pricing scandal Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Flippa changed their pricing AGAIN! For Sale 0
Prashant Sharan Verisign might get its billion-dollar .com pricing windfall Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Step by step procedure to setup domain name pricing at DAN Resources 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN demystifies how .org pricing decision was made Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan DNW PodCast: Domain pricing with Jeffrey Gabriel Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton on re-pricing your .COM domains after the Voice.com sale Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Flippa changes to a new pricing model Non-India Related Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Unity emerging up and against .ORG Pricing Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN puts an end to Adobe Connect over security, pricing Registrars 0
DomainFQ.com BicyclePricing.com | Bicycle Pricing | Non-India Related Domains 1
JulienJ Avoid These Four Common Mistakes When Pricing Domains Resources 0
Swisslist The Pricing/Valuation Of It All Business and Economy 7
Jeff Great article - domain pricing Resources 2
domainking131 Domain pricing game: Acquisition middlemen still going strong in 2017 The Lounge 0
JackD Domain Name Pricing: Is it Ethical? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
D Difference in renewal pricing of .in domain names at Resellerclub Registrars 3
domainking131 Donuts Will Decrease Pricing for New .BUSINESS and .COMPANY Domains Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 SnapNames backorder pricing increases to $79 Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 .blog launch date and pricing revealed New GTLDs 1
domainking131 Uniregistry Goes To EAP Pricing Up to $28,500 For .MOM New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Domain economy : Dot .Net pricing inches up Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Famous Four Media opens tiered pricing in 4 more domain extensions New GTLDs 0
domainking131 The Psychology of Pricing: A Gigantic List of Strategies Resources 0
CyberKing Domain Pricing Tools Domain Appraisals 4
R Please help me with this domain's pricing Domain Appraisals 2
Rajat Pricing comparison of general customer and reseller account at Mitsu General Indian Domain Name Discussion 7
indy Domparison - compare domain pricing for .in and all extensions... General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
B onlinedegree.in Yours thoughts pls on singular and plural domain name pricing Domain Appraisals 6
ebiz4india Premium TAX Domains at affordable pricing For Sale 0
mobile INR going Down Domain Pricing Going Up The Lounge 4
ebiz4india .IN SALE - Low Pricing For Sale 2
ebiz4india .IN Mega SALE with pricing For Sale 1
ebiz4india ePhone.in + eProduct.in - Very Low Pricing For Sale 2
ebiz4india .IN Mega Sale @ Wholesale Pricing For Sale 0
ebiz4india DubaiCity, DubaiProperties & Filipino - Low Pricing For Sale 0
R NEW .IN Pricing For Renewal/Transfer General Indian Domain Name Discussion 5
ebiz4india KEYWORD DOMAINS ... Low Pricing For Sale 0
ebiz4india CollegeCampus.in & Many More - LOWEST Pricing. For Sale 0
ebiz4india Crazy Pricing - Killer Domains - From $10 Each. Hurry up.! For Sale 2
ebiz4india DNBroker.in - HomeComputer & Others @ Reasonable Pricing - Fresh List of .IN For Sale 0
ebiz4india Lowest Pricing Ever Offered for .IN domains - Check this Portfolio - $5 Each Domain. For Sale 1
D **nnn.in*** sale *new pricing* For Sale 17
ebiz4india $10 SALE for .IN Domains - One Word Domains, Cheap Pricing - 5**** For Sale 3
ebiz4india Biggest One Word .IN Domain Sale Thread. Cheap Pricing. Quality Domains. For Sale 2
O Domain pricing, £5.98 per year for .com! For Sale / Advertising 0
ebiz4india GR8 Domain +Low Pricing: BusinessTax.in - ShareBrokers, SaleTax, EquityFund, Payouts For Sale 2
Jeff .IN hits 600,000 Domains + Promo Pricing to Continue until September General Indian Domain Name Discussion 4
ebiz4india One Word Adult Domains for Sale, very Low Pricing! - URGENT SALE Adult Domains 0